This manual describes the outline of the AD-1683A ionizer and how to use it correctly. Please thoroughly read this manual before using the ionizer and keep it at hand for future reference.
This ionizer eliminates static electricity on the weighing sample by generating bipolar ions from 4 electrode needles.
- The ionizer can eliminate static electricity on a charged weighing sample without a breeze. A weighing error can be reduced.
- This ionizer can be controlled by using a built-in IR sensor, and option IR switch (AX-IR-SWITCH).
- Electrode unit is removable. A unit can be cleaned and replaced.
In general, nonconductors such as powder, filters, medicine wrapping paper, plastic, etc. easily become electrostatically charged when the ambient humidity is less than 45 %RH. The static electricity may cause a weighing error of approximately a few mg at weighing. This ionizer can perform static elimination effectively.
Cautions before Use
Read the following cautions for safety use of the ionizer.
- Operate the ionizer gently because of the precision instrument.
- Do not install the following place. Place getting water, vibration, shock, direct sunshine. Dusty place, air including salt or corrosive gas, a place inflammable gas.
- Do not turn on the power of the ionizer until the installation is finished. The switch to turn off is not equipped in the ionizer.
|Ion generation method||Direct corona discharge|
|Effective range of static electricity elimination||Approximately 7 cm or shorter from the electrode needle|
|Operation temperature and humidity||5 to 40 °C,
85% RH or less (no condensation)
|Discharge electrode needle||Tungsten (with a life of approx. 10,000 hours)|
|Mass||Approximately 370 g|
Confirm that voltage, frequency, and outlet type is correct for your local voltage.
How to Use
6.1. Preparing the AC adapter
- Connect the accessory AC adapter to the AC adapter jack.
- When the AC adapter is connected to the outlet, the power lamp lights up.
6.2. Static elimination
- Put the weighing sample into the effective range shown in figure 1.
- Responding to the IR sensor (touchless infrared proximity sensor) on the front panel, option IR switch, the ION lamp lights up and static elimination starts.
- Perform static elimination referring to figure 1. The static elimination process stops automatically in 3 seconds and the ION lamp turns off for the factory setting. Referring to “7. Optimizing the Ionizer”, optimize the static elimination method and discharging time if the distance between electrode needles and the weighing sample is 10 cm or father.
6.3. Connecting Options
Caution Remove the power supply cable when connecting peripherals to the ionizer. The static elimination process can be controlled by using the option IR switch instead of the built-in IR sensor. The ionizer cannot send PRINT and RE-ZERO commands to the balance by using the option IR switch.
Optimizing the Ionizer
Static elimination method can be optimized by using switches on the rear. Refer to the following table for functions of switches. Change the settings of switch 1 and switch 2 eliminating static electricity outside the effective range shown in figure 1.
Factory settings of switches is all ON (Upperside). It means the static elimination method is “Timer mode”, “Discharging time” is 3 seconds, “Built-in IR sensor” and “Buzzer” is available.
Table 1 Functions of the optimizing switches
|Switch No. / Item||State of switch||Descriptions|
Static elimination method
|ON Upperside||Timer mode #1|
|OFF Lower side||Manual mode #2|
Discharging time #3
|ON Upperside||3 seconds|
|OFF Lower side||10 seconds|
Built-in IR sensor
|OFF Lower side||Not Available|
|Switch 4 Buzzer
|OFF Lower side||Not Available|
#1 When switch 1 is selected “Timer mode”, static elimination is performed for “Discharging time” set by switch 2.
#2 Once static elimination has started, it continues until the built-in IR sensor or option IR switch responds again when switch 1 is selected “Manual mode”. “Manual mode” does not stop static elimination automatically.
#3 The setting of switch 2 is effective when switch 1 is selected “Timer mode”.
#4 Buzzer sounds at turning the power on or responding to the built-in IR sensor or option IR switch.
- When the ionizer is used continuously, the discharge electrode needle and around may get dirty and neutralization performance may become weak. Clean the electrode needle periodically using cotton swabs to maintain performance.
- When the electrode needle wears out and static elimination performance does not refresh by cleaning, replace all of the discharge electrode units with new ones of option. The lifetime of the discharge electrode unit is approximately 10000 hours.
Procedure of replacement
- Remove the AC adapter to turn off the ionizer.
- Rotate a discharge electrode unit to 45 degrees counterclockwise. Remove it.
- Insert new units and rotate them to 45 degrees clockwise.
Discharge electrode unit
AX-BM-NEEDLE SET (A set is 4 units.)
- Replacement electrode units.
- Replace all 4 units with new ones.
- Refer to the “8. Maintenance” for replacement procedure.
- Touchless infrared proximity sensor.
- Refer to the “6.3. Connecting Options” how to connect it.
- Static elimination operation can be controlled by moving hand over the “SENSOR”.
©2021 A&D Company Ltd. All rights reserved.
- No part of this publication may be reproduced, transmitted, transcribed, or translated into any language in any form by any means without the written permission of A&D
- The contents of this manual and the specifications of the instrument covered by this manual are subject to change for improvement without notice.