Audio-Technica ATH-M20X Professional Studio Monitor Headphones
- DIMENSIONS: 11.4 x 10 x 4.1 inches,
- WEIGHT: 6.7 ounces,
- MATERIAL TYPE: Aluminum,
- TYPE: Closed-back dynamic,
- DRIVER DIAMETER: 40mm,
- FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 15-20kHz,
- MAXIMUM INPUT POWER: 700 mW at 1 kHz,
- SENSITIVITY: 96 dB,
- MANUFACTURER: Audio-Technica
Audio-Technica provides one of the best and one of the most comfortable studio headphones for just under $50. ATH-M20X is a member of the well-known M-Series line of Audio-Technica. These headphones are capable of delivering accurate audio while being comfortable. They are decent over-ear headphones which are not the best in the market but at their value, they perform above average as compared to other headphones. They also have some noise-blocking features but no noise cancellation functions which may affect the sounds and the listening experience. The sound quality of the M20x is also pretty decent as it has a good frequency response covering the entire audible spectrum.
They come in black color with the same design as ATH-M30x, obviously with slight variations. They are very light in weight due to the cheap plastic and thin metal frame that is used to make the headband. The headband is adjustable. The earpads are soft and are comfortable for the ears in case of long usage and don’t cause pressure on the ears. These headphones aren’t portable and don’t have the ability to fold into a compact form.
The tuning of these M20X headphones is done perfectly. They come with a neutral frequency range which makes them so special because at this price range it is difficult to find such sound quality headphones. The high frequency and high-mid cut are another conservative feature as it cuts and boosts only 5 dB. Calibration can be used to fix the sound ends. The low end is almost 60Hz and unfortunately can be lowered.v The deviations at lower frequencies are inconsistent however, at higher frequencies like above 5 kHz, they become more frequent.
What’s in the Box?
- Audio-Technica ATH-M20x Headphones
- 1/8” to 1/4” Adapter
ATH-M20x Part Names
The headphones come with a 6.3mm stereo plug adapter which can be used to connect to headphones amplifiers, mixers, etc.
How to connect the ATH-M20x Headphones to your device?
The headphones are pretty to connect your device as they don’t have wireless connectivity. You can simply connect the cable to your device in the audio port.
How to clean the ATH-M20x Headphones?
You can follow these steps to clean your headphones:
- To clean the Headphones: Wipe them with a dry cloth.
- To clean the Cables: Wipe them with a dry cloth immediately.
- To clean the Plug: When the plug is dirty wipe it with a dry cloth. Don’t use a wet plug.
- To clean the earpads and headbands: Earpads and Headbands may fade if water or sweat dries on them. Keep them dry by wiping with a dry cloth.
Don’t use alcohol or paint thinners to clean the headphones.
- Don’t use the headphones while driving a car, riding a motorcycle or operating any vehicle.
- Don’t raise the volume too high to protect your ears.
- Listening to loud music for long periods of time can damage your ears.
- Don’t disassemble, modify or repair the headphones.
- Comfortable Headband
- Cable is long
- Good Sub-bass extension
- Sturdy and Lightweight
- All frequency feels the same volume
- Low Bass
- Cheap Build Quality
- No microphone
These studio headphones are budget-friendly options for studio owners, podcasters, and home music producers. Their build quality isn’t luxurious but they provide a moderate sound quality making them a good option in low-budget studio headphones.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Are these noise-canceling enough to wear on a plane and not hear the plane noise?
They don’t have any noise cancellation features. However, the ear puffs block out some of the noise. They don’t have any electronic noise canceling functions.
- Are these good for big heads?
Yes, they come with an adjustable band, allowing you to change the size and you can simply adjust to your size. They also provide a good grip over the head without pressuring your head.
- How comfortable is it for extended hours of use?
They are quite comfortable to use for an extended period of time. However, they might become uncomfortable in hot weather due to sweat build-up. It is advised to remove it for a while for some breathable space.
- Do these headphones come with a carrying case?
No, they don’t come in a carrying case. The box contains the ATH-M20x headphones and the 6.3mm adapter plug.
- Is the headband metal or plastic? If plastic, is the build sturdy or cheap-feeling?
The headband is made of plastic. The headband has a plastic feeling but is still sturdy for its value.
- Is this model foldable?
No, the ATH-M20x aren’t foldable however, the M50X are foldable.
- Are these headphones good for studio recording?
Yes, they are pretty decent for basic level sound recording as studio headphones.