Care and Use
IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS
When using electrical appliances, especially when children are present, basic safety precautions should always be taken, including the following:
READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USING KEEP A W A Y FROM W A TER
DANGER- any appliance is electrically live, even when the switch is off. To reduce the risk of death or injury by electric shock:
- Unplug this appliance before cleaning.
- Do not place or store appliances where they can fall or be pulled into a tub or sink.
- Do not use it while bathing or in a shower.
- Do not place in, or drop into water or other liquid.
- Do not reach for an appliance that has fallen into the water. Unplug immediately.
- Always unplug this appliance from the electrical outlet immediately after using it.
DO NOT REACH INTO THE WATER
WARNING- To reduce the risk of burns, electric shock, fire, or injury to persons:
- This appliance should never be left unattended when plugged in. Do not pull, twist, or wrap the line cord around the appliance.
- This appliance should not be used by, on, or near children or individuals with certain
- Use this appliance only for its intended purpose as described in this manual. Do not use attachments not recommended by the Do not use an extension cord to operate this appliance.
- Never operate this appliance if it has a damaged cord or plug, or if it is not working properly, if it has been dropped or damaged, or dropped into water. Return the appliance to a service center for examination and repair.
- Keep the cord away from heated surfaces.
- Never drop or insert any object into any opening on this appliance.
- Do not place the appliance on any surface while it is operating.
- Do not use this appliance with a damaged or broken comb or with teeth missing from the blades as injury may occur. Before use, make certain blades are aligned properly. (See “Care of your Clippers”)
- Do not use outdoors or operate where aerosol (spray) products are being used or where oxygen is being administered.
- Never operate the appliance with the air openings blocks or while on a soft surface, such as a bed or couch, where the air openings may be blocked. Keep the air openings free of lint, hair, and the like.
- Always attach plug to appliance first, then to outlet. To disconnect, turn all controls to “OFF” then remove the plug from the outlet.
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
This appliance is intended for household use. Use on Alternating Current 60 hertz only. This appliance has a polarized plug (one blade is wider than the other). As a safety feature, this plug will fit in the outlet only one way. If the plug does not fit fully in the outlet, reverse the plug. If it still does not fit, contact a qualified electrician to install the
proper outlet. Do not attempt to defeat this safety feature. Your new Conair® haircut kit has everything you need to achieve professional haircuts at home. It features a powerful clipper with adjustable taper control and high carbon steel blades for cutting precision. Also included are 9 attachment combs (1/8”, 1/4”, 3/8”, 1/2”, 5/8”, 3/4*”, 7/8” for different hair lengths, left and right ear combs), barber scissors, 1 styling comb with angled teeth, barber cape, storage case, a barber comb with straight teeth, and 2 styling clips to assist you in cutting longer hairstyles. A 28 minute step-by-step How-to DVD filled with styling tips and techniques. It also comes with lubricating oil, a cleaning brush, and a blade guard for easy maintenance of the clipper blades.
THE CONAIR GUIDE
TO CUTTING HAIR AT HOME
Before you start:
- Inspect your clipper. Make sure it’s free of hair and dirt, properly oiled, and running smoothly.
- Place a towel around the neck of the person.
- Seat the person so that his or her head is at your eye level. This gives you greater visibility and control.
- First, comb hair until it’s tangle-free. Then hold the clipper in a comfortable grip. Now you’re ready to cut.
MEDIUM TO LONG CUT
To begin with, cut only a small amount of hair until you become used to the length each attachment leaves the hair. Try the longest attachment on the clipper first. If you want a shorter cut, you can then use shorter combs.
- Short attachment comb (number 1) cuts hair to 1/8″.
- Medium-Short attachment comb (number 2) cuts hair to 1/4″.
- Medium-Long attachment comb (number 3) cuts hair to 3/8″.
- Long attachment comb (number 4) cuts hair to 1/2″.
- Long attachment comb (number 5) cuts hair to 5/8″
- Long attachment comb (number 6) cuts hair to 3/4″
- Long attachment comb (number 7) cuts hair to 7/8″
- Left ear attachment comb lightly tapers over the left ear.
- Right ear attachment comb lightly tapers over the right ear.
Attach combs by holding their teeth up, then snapping onto the bottom of the clipper blade.
To remove comb attachments, place index finger and thumb as illustrated; then pull out and up.
NOTE: Never push or shove the clipper through the hair to make it move more quickly. Professional experience shows that the clipper works most efficiently when it cuts through the hair at its own speed.
To begin cutting hair:
- The hair should be combed in its natural direction.
- Using the largest attachment comb, trim sides from the bottom upward. Hold clipper lightly against the hair with teeth of the attachment comb pointing upward, yet
flat against the head. Gradually lift the clipper upward and outward through the hair, trimming just a little at a time.
Repeat around the sides and back of the head. If you want hair to be even shorter: A) Apply more pressure to the head with the attachment comb that is in place. This takes a little practice, of course. OR B) Just switch to a shorter attachment comb. Remember, it’s better to leave too much hair than too little. For longer hair on top, use the barber comb and lift hair on the top of the head, cutting over the comb. Or hold the hair between the fingers and cut to the desired length. Always working from the front to the back of the head, gradually cut the hair shorter by reducing the space between the comb or fingers and the head. Comb often to check for uneven strands, and to get rid of trimmed
Outlining requires no attachments. Comb hair into the desired style. Position the clipper between the sideburns and the ear (see below), making sure the corner edge of the blade is against the hairline. With the outline of the hair as your guide, slowly move the clipper over, around, and behind the ears. For the back of the neck and the sideburns, hold the clipper upside down (see above) and, holding it against the skin at the length desired, move the clipper downward.
STOP. COMB. CHECK.
For best results, do as the professionals do: comb hair often, and check clipping results as you comb. This way you avoid uneven sides, bangs, neckline, etc.
SHORT CUTS TO PERFECT
FLAT TOPS, CREW CUTS, ETC.
Always cut from the back of the neck to the crown, using the longest comb setting. Hold the comb attachment flat against the head and slowly move the clipper up through the hair. Use the same technique for the sides, cutting from the bottom to the upper side of the head. From the front to the crown, cut the hair against the direction in which it grows. Then even it up with the sides. For a flat top, use the flat comb, not the attachment comb. Just cut hair on top of the head over a flat comb. (see above). To taper hair down to the neckline, use attachment comb #1. Comb hair and check for uneven spots. Outline sideburns and neck areas (see “Outlining”).
USER-MAINTENANCE INSTRUCTIONS CARE OF YOUR CLIPPERS
IF YOU DETERMINE THAT BLADE
ALIGNMENT IS INCORRECT:
Conair® hair clippers are carefully inspected to ensure that the blades are in perfect alignment. Of course, you will need to realign the blades after removal for cleaning or replacement, or if they should be knocked out of alignment. How can you tell if blades need realigning? Simply match them up, point for point, to conform with FIG. 1 below:
To prevent the clipper from contacting the skin or cutting too closely, make certain that the end top blade teeth are 1/32” to 1/16” back from the bottom blade. To Align Blades:
- Add two or three drops of Conair Lubricating Oil (included).
- Turn clipper on for a minute to disperse oil evenly over blades, then turn off.
- Unplug the clipper and slightly loosen screws. (See FIG. 2)
- Position the extreme left-hand tooth of the top blade so that it either covers or appears on the left of the first small tooth on the bottom blade.
- Make sure that the big tooth on the bottom blade touches the extreme right-hand tooth of the top blade.
To maintain the blades of your Conair clipper, oil them after every three or four haircuts. Gently place a few drops of oil on the teeth of the blades, using the special Conair oil included with your set. Turn the clipper on for a minute, then turn it off. This light, natural oil was formulated specifically for the Conair high-speed clipper. Because it is the right oil to use, it will not slow down the blades. Never use any other product. There is no substitute for Conair oil.
ADJUSTABLE TAPER LEVER
Just like professional clippers, the Conair taper lever is positioned at your thumb. You can hold the clipper in your hand and adjust the lever at the same time…while you’re clipping. This taper lever eliminates the need for an attachment comb because it lets you gradually adjust the closeness of the cut. For the closest cut and the shortest hair,
push the taper lever up as far as it will go. To increase cutting length, slowly push the lever down. If you push to the lowest position, it will leave hair about the same length as the short attachment. Because a different cutting edge is used in each setting, the taper lever lengthens the life of your blades. Packed-in hair can slow down any clipper. To remove hair without removing the blades, do what the professionals do: keeping the clipper on, quickly push the taper lever back and forth from “close” to “longer” cut a few times. If you do this after every clipping, especially with heavy hair cutting, the blades should remain free of cut hair.
If the clipper stops cutting and this action doesn’t help, check the blades. If they’ve become dull, replace them or return them to a Conair service center. We’ll be glad to sharpen them for you. For new blades, send check or money order for $6.50 (see order blank) which includes postage and handling(If $10 minimum is met) to:
NOTE: Never pull on the clipper cord. Never twist or wrap the cord around the clipper. Lay it flat with the cord coiled up when not in use.
IF YOU THINK THE POWER IS OFF WHEN THE SWITCH IS OFF, YOU’RE WRONG.
KEEP AWAY FROM WATER
Everyone knows that electricity and water are a dangerous combination. But did you know that an electric appliance is still electrically live even if the switch is off? If the plug is in, the power is on. So when you are not using your appliances, keep them unplugged.
Public Service ad from Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers and Underwriters Laboratories, Inc.
Once again, thanks for buying a Conair product.
Your Conair ® clipper blades are made of high carbon stainless steel. They are engineered for precise, professional results. If blades feel like they are pulling or grabbing hair, it means they are losing their sharpness and should be replaced as soon as possible. Attachment combs should also be replaced if they are lost or broken. It is easier to cut hair with the accuracy of a pro when the necessary tools are at your fingertips. Conair makes a variety of accessories for different haircut kits. If your haircut kit does not include them, you may want to consider adding them to your professional hair-cutting tools. Left and right ear attachment combs provide effortless, precise cutting around the ears. Styling clips hold the hair in place when you are sectioning hair. A styling comb makes it easy to taper or cut hair at an angle. A barber cape ensures a comfortable and neat haircut and a convenient storage pouch keeps all your essentials in one place. Last but not least, an easy-to-follow 30- minute “Haircuts at Home” video is available. It demonstrates basic haircutting techniques and follows four popular haircuts step by step. It will give you the confidence and instruction you need to give great-looking haircuts to every member of your family.
PT1 Mighty Mini 15 Piece Clipper Kit
Powerful DC motor makes this unique, lightweight clipper/trimmer a versatile cutting instrument as it can also be used for detailing and bikini line trimming.
HC90 10 Piece Haircut Kit
Powerful magnetic motor clipper with stainless steel blades and 4 attachment combs.
MN253 Cobra Trimmer
3-in-1 Deluxe, rechargeable detailer. 3 interchangeable heads include a full-size trimmer, shaver, and nose and ear attachment for all facial fashions. *Not recommended for
HAIRCUT KIT REPLACEMENT PARTS & ACCESSORIES ORDER FORM
Pricing is in effect through June 1, 2008. Orders postmarked after this date
will be accepted, and the customer will be notified if pricing has changed.
|Set of 4 Attachment Combs:1/8″, 1/4″, 3/8% 1/2′. Fits all clippers (HC200, HC220, FIC240, HC102 HC3CO, HC318, HC414, HC275, HC222)||COMB-10||$5.00|
|Set of 2 Attachment Combs: left ear and right ear. Fits all clippers (see COMB-10).except HC222||COMB-11||$1.75|
|1′ Comb fits all clippers||COMB-12||$1.75|
|3 attachment combs 5/8*, 3/4″, 7/8′. Fits all clippers||COMB-13||$5.00|
|Deluxe Black Vinyl Cape with Velcro Collar||CAPE-1||$5.00|
|Lubricating Oil (pkg. of 3 tubes)||HC OIL||$2.00|
|30 Minute Haircut Video||HC VIDEO||$8.95|
|Blade Set for HC200 Detent Clipper||BLD-8||$6.50|
|Styling Clips (set of 3)||CLP-1||$1.50|
|Prices are valid only for shipments within the Continental United States. Please allow 4 – 6 weeks for delivery. Enclose check or money order made payable to Conair. (We cannot accept cash, stamps, or C.O.D. orders.) CT, IL, AZ, and PA residents should add applicable state sales tax. Minimum order of $10.00 or a $2.00 handling charge will be added to the order. All prices include handling and return
postage. Prices are subject to change without notice. To avoid delays, please print clearly.
We must have a street address, as UPS cannot deliver to a P.O. box.
ADDRESS ___________________________________________________ APT. ________________
CITY _______________________________________________STATE _______ ZIP ____________
TELEPHONE ( ) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _(We call only if we have a question about your order.)
For information on other Conair®
haircut kit parts call 1-800-3-CONAIR.
150 Milford Road
East Windsor, NJ 08520-9730
LIMITED FIVE YEAR WARRANTY
Conair will repair or replace (at our option) your unit free of charge for 60 months from the date of purchase if the appliance is defective in workmanship or materials.
To obtain service under this warranty, return the defective product to the service center listed below that is nearest you, together with your purchase receipt and $3.00 for postage and handling. California residents need only provide proof of purchase and should call 1-800366-0937 for shipping instructions. In the absence of a purchase receipt, the warranty period shall be 60 months from the date of manufacture. ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES, OBLIGATIONS, OR LIABILITIES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, SHALL BE LIMITED IN DURATION TO THE 60 MONTH DURATION OF THIS WRITTEN, LIMITED WARRANTY.
Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitations may not apply to you. IN NO EVENT SHALL CONAIR BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES FOR BREACH OF THIS OR ANY OTHER WARRANTY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED,
WHATSOEVER. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of special, incidental, or consequential damages, so the above limitation may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights, which vary from state to state.
© 2006 CONAIR CORPORATION
Service Department 7475 North Glen Harbor Blvd. Glendale, AZ 85307