FESTOOL Cordless Impact Driver Instruction Manual
- Warning of general danger
- Warning of electric shock
- Read the operating instructions and
- safety instructions.
- Wear ear protection.
- Wear protective goggles.
- Inserting the battery pack
- Removing the battery pack
- CE marking: Confirms the conformity of the power tool with the European Community directives.
- Do not dispose of it with domestic waste.
- Tip or advice
- Handling instruction
General power tool safety warnings
WARNING! Read all safety warnings, instructions, illustrations and specifications provided with this power tool. Failure to follow all instructions listed below may result in electric shock, fire and/or serious injury.
Save all warnings and instructions for future reference.
The term “power tool” in the warnings refers to your mains-operated (corded) power tool or battery-operated (cordless) power tool.
Follow the operating manual for the charger and the battery pack.
Tool-specific safety instructions for cordless impact screwdriver
- Hold the power tool by insulated gripping surfaces, when performing an operation where the cutting accessory may contact hidden wiring. Autting accessory contacting a “live” wire may make exposed metal parts of the power tool “live” and could give the operator an electric shock.
- Use appropriate detection devices to look for any hidden supply lines or consult your local utility company. If the insertion tool makes contact with live cables, it can result in fire and electric shock. Damage to a gas pipe can lead to an explosion. Penetration of a water pipe can result in damage to property.
- Wear suitable personal protective equipment: Ear protection and safety goggles.
- Hold the power tool firmly in your hand. Make sure the speed is adjusted correctly when screw driving. Be prepared for high reaction torque, which can arise when working with the power tool.
- Do not use the power tool in the rain or in damp surroundings. Moisture in the power tool may cause a short circuit and burning.
- Wait until the power tool has come to a complete halt before placing it down. The insertion tool can get caught and lead to a loss of control of the power tool.
- Avoid unintentional activation. Carrying the electric power tool with your fingers on the on/off switch can lead to accidents. If you are not using the power tool, set the rotational direction switch/safety lock [1-8] to the centre position to lock the on/off switch.
- Do not use power supply units or third party battery packs to operate cordless power tools. Do not use third-party chargers to charge the battery packs. The use of accessories not expressly authorised by the manufacturer can result in electric shocks and/or serious accidents.
- Only use tools and accessories which have been approved by Festool for this power tool. The use of tools or accessories which have not been approved may increase the risk of injury and seriously unbalance the machine. This may decrease the quality of the working results and accelerate wear on the power tool.
The levels determined in accordance with EN 62841 are typically:
Sound pressure level : LPA = 97 dB(A)
Sound power level : LWA = 108 dB(A)
Uncertainty : K = 3 dB
Noise generated when working Risk of damage to hearing
- Use ear protection.
Vibration emission level ah (vector sum for three directions) and uncertainty K measured in accordance with EN 62841:
The specified emission levels (vibration, noise)
- are used to compare machines.
- They are also used for making preliminary estimates regarding vibration and noise load during operation.
- They represent the primary applications of the power tool.
The emission values may deviate from the specified values. This is dependent on how the tool is used and the type of work piece being machined.
- The actual load during the entire operating cycle must be evaluated.
- Depending on the actual load, suitable protective measures must be defined in order to protect the operator.
This cordless impact screwdriver is intended for driving in and tightening screws up to the specified maximum dimensions in metal, wood, plastics and similar materials. Self-tapping drill screws are intended for use in metal.
It must be noted that speed is directly connected to torque. This means: The lower the speed, the lower the torque. This power tool is intended for use with BP Festool battery packs of the same voltage class.
Warning : The user is liable for damage and accidents caused by improper and non-intended use; this also includes damage and wear caused by continuous industrial operation.
|Cordless impact screwdriver||TID 18|
|Motor voltage||18 V|
|Number of gears||3 + T-mode|
|No‑load speed*||1st gear : 1200 rpm|
|2nd gear : 2000 rpm|
|3rd gear : 3200 rpm|
|Max. torque||180 Nm|
|Reaction torque on the handle||10 Nm|
|Tool holder DIN 3126 E||1/4″ (6.3 mm)|
|Tool holder dimension A ||9.5 mm|
|Max. screw size for softwood||8 x 220 mm|
|Weight (incl. battery pack BP 18 Li 6,2 AS) as per EPTA procedure 01:2014||1.7 kg|
|Battery pack||BP 18|
|Battery voltag||18 V|
- Speed values based on fully charged battery pack.
Parts of the machine
|Buttons for releasing the battery pack|
|Capacity display button on battery pack|
|Electronic speed selection|
|Rotational direction switch and safety lock/transport lock|
|Insulated gripping surfaces (grey shaded area)|
Accessories shown or described are not always included in the scope of delivery. The specified illustrations appear at the beginning of the operating manual.
Belt clip [1-10]
The belt clip allows the power tool to be attached to work attire for brief periods. It can be attached to the right or left of the power tool using a screw [1a].
Switching on/off [1-6]
Press = ON, release = OFF
Risk of injury
- Do not look directly into the LED light. 
The LED light [1-4] lights up when the on/off switch [1-6] is pressed.
Set the rotational direction switch/safety lock [1-8] to the centre position to lock the on/off switch.
Changing the battery pack 
- Press both buttons at the same time [1-1] and pull the battery pack forwards and out of the device.
- Insert the new, fully charged battery pack so that it clicks into place on the bottom of the tool.
Follow the instructions enclosed with the charger in order to charge the battery pack.
The capacity display [1-3] indicates the charge of the battery pack for approx. 2 seconds after the button [1-2] is pressed:
- < 15%
Recommendation: Charge the battery pack before any further use.
Important : Further information about the charger and battery pack with capacity indicator can be found in the corresponding operating manual.
Risk of injury
- Only adjust the settings when the power tool is switched off.
Changing direction of rotation [1-8]
- Switch to the left = clockwise rotation
- Switch to the right = counterclockwise rotation
Setting the speed/stroke rate
Once it has been switched on, the tool will automatically revert to the gear/mode that was last selected.The T-mode is recommended when using self tapping drill screws.
- Press the gear switch [1-5] as many times as necessary to select the desired gear/mode.
- One speed LED is lit = 1st gear
- Two speed LEDs are lit = 2nd gear
- Three speed LEDs are lit = 3rd gear
- T-mode LED is lit = T-mode
Important : Drive in some test screws first to check the correct gear setting.
Tool holder, attachments
Risk of injury
- Remove the battery pack from the power tool before performing any work on the power tool.
This power tool is compatible with commercially available tools with 1/4″ hex shank, as per DIN 3126 type E 6.3. 
Warning : CENTROTEC accessories are not compatible with this power tool.
Changing tools 
- Pull the sleeve of the bit locking system forward to release the insertion tool.
- Remove insertion tool.
- Push the new insertion tool into the locking sleeve until it audibly clicks into place.
Changing the bit in the insertion tool 
- Remove the bit from the insertion tool.
- Insert a new bit into the insertion tool.
Working with the machine
Risk of injury
- Only attach the power tool to the screw when it is switched off.
- Always secure the work piece in such a manner that it cannot move.
- Keep hands away from the rotating insertion tools.
Risk of burns
Tool holder and tools can become very hot during operation!
- Wear protective gloves when changing the tools!
- Allow to cool before attaching to belt clip.
Bit store [1-9]
Risk of injury from metal cuttings in the bit store.
- Clean the bit store regularly and clear out metal cuttings.
Magnetic, to pick up bits.
Acoustic warning signal
Acoustic warning signals sound and the tool switches off in the following operating states:
Battery empty/incompatible or tool overloaded.
- Charge/change the battery.
- Reduce the load on the tool.
When pressing the on/off switch. Tool has overheated.
- Once it has cooled down, restart the tool.
Tool is faulty.
- Contact the manufacturer to rectify the fault.
Service and maintenance
Risk of injury, electric shock
- Always remove the battery pack from the power tool before performing any maintenance or service work.
- All maintenance and repair work that requires the power tool to be opened up should always be carried out by an authorised service workshop.
Customer service and repairs must only be carried out by the manufacturer or service workshops. Find the nearest address at: www.festool.co.uk/service
Always use original Festool spare parts. Order no. at: www.festool.co.uk/service
To ensure constant air circulation, always keep the cooling air openings in the motor housing clean and free of blockages.
Keep the contacts on the power tool, charger and battery pack clean.
Do not dispose of the device in the household waste! Recycle devices, accessories and packaging. Observe applicable national regulations.
EU only: In accordance with the European Directive on waste electrical and electronic equipment and implementation in national law, used power tools must be collected separately and handed in for environmentally friendly recycling.
Information on REACH: http://www.festool.com/reach
Imported into the UK by
Festool UK Ltd
1 Anglo Saxon Way
Bury St Edmunds
The Bluetooth® word mark and the logos are registered trademarks of Bluetooth SIG, Inc.; they are used by TTS Tooltechnic Systems AG & Co. KG, and therefore by Festool, under licence.