hama Powerline 600Mbps Set SOCKET Instruction Manual
Controls and displays
Thank you for choosing a Hama product.
With the Hama Powerline 600 Mbps adapter, you can set up your own home network in just a few steps. The intelligent HomePlug AV technology allows data to be transferred using your house’s power lines, so you don’t need to lay any new network cables. You don’t even have to give up an electrical socket since the Hama Socket 600 Mbps Powerline adapter offers an integrated socket for connecting your terminal devices or power strips as usual. The integrated mains filter significantly improves data transfers in your home network.
The fast transfer rate of up to 600 Mbps turns every bandwidth-intensive internet application
into a great multimedia experience. The integrated Quality of Service function determines the
bandwidth requirements, optimises the data flow and ensures excellent quality, particularly for
voice and video transmission.
To protect your data, you can simply activate the secure 128-bit AES (Advanced Encryption
Standard) encryption at the touch of a button with the Hama 600 Mbps Powerline adapter.
In addition, the power-saving mode included throughout the series automatically reduces the
device’s energy consumption.
Take your time and read the following instructions and information completely. Keep these operating instructions in a safe place for future reference.
1.1 About this manual
After a brief introduction to Powerline and HomePlug AV in section 6, you find out how to successfully start up the Hama 600 Mbps Powerline adapter in section 7.
The tips on bandwidth optimisation, the warranty disclaimer and the warranty conditions in section 9 round out the manual.
2. Explanation of Warning Symbols and Notes
Risk of electric shock
This symbol indicates product parts energized with a dangerous voltage of sufficient magnitude to constitute a risk of electric shock.
This symbol is used to indicate safety instructions or to draw your attention to specific hazards and risks.
This symbol is used to indicate additional information or important notes.
3. Extent of Delivery
Before you start setting up your Hama Powerline adapter, make sure that you have all the
Powerline 600 Mbps set
- 2 Powerline 600 Adapter
- 2 network cable
- 1 short instruction manual
Hama GmbH & Co KG reserves the right to modify the scope of delivery without prior notice.
4. System Requirements
Note that both your computer and the device in question must be equipped with a network card
or integrated network adapter with a network interface.
- Note that Powerline devices with speeds of 14 Mbps or 85 Mbps can be operated in the same power supply network as devices with 200 Mbps or 600 Mbps without these devices interfering with each other, but that these devices cannot communicate directly with one another. To set up a Powerline network, you need at least two Powerline devices with speeds of 200 Mpbs or 600 Mbps.
5. Safety Instructions
- The product is intended for private, non-commercial use only.
- Do not use the product in areas where the use of electronic devices is not permitted.
- Protect the product from dirt, moisture and overheating and use it in dry rooms only.
- As with all electrical devices, this device should be kept out of the reach of children.
- Do not drop the product and do not expose it to any major shocks.
- Do not operate the product outside the power limits given in the specifications.
- Keep the packaging material out of the reach of children due to the risk of suffocation.
- Dispose of packaging material immediately according to locally applicable regulations.
- Do not modify the device in any way. Doing so voids the warranty.
- Use the product for its intended purpose only.
- Do not use the product in the immediate vicinity of heaters or other heat sources or in direct sunlight.
- Do not use the product in moist environments and avoid splashes.
- Use the item only in moderate climatic conditions.
- The product is intended for indoor use only.
- Lay all cables so that they do not pose a tripping hazard.
- Do not bend or crush the cable.
- Never connect multiple units of this product in series.
- The product may only be operated with the type of power supply network described on the name plate.
Risk of electric shock
- Do not open the device or continue to operate it if it becomes damaged.
- Do not use the product if the AC adapter, adapter cable or power cable is damaged.
- Do not attempt to service or repair the device yourself. Leave any service work to qualified
- Multi-socket power strips must not be used to operate Powerline adapters.
6. What Are Powerline and HomePlug AV?
It’s an intelligent, safe technology that can be used to set up a home network quickly, easily and
affordably without installing expensive and inconvenient network cabling. However, you don’t
have to sacrifice performance data and installation time as compared to traditional methods.
Quite the opposite: With HomePlug AV, you can now achieve the same speeds as with other
network technologies – but the installation is far simpler.
With HomePlug AV, the existing power network is used to transfer data between different computers and other network components that are connected using suitable adapters. This turns
every electrical socket into a network socket. The data is converted, modulated and sent to the
power lines as a signal for transfer. Cutting-edge technology ensures that the power network and
the data network don’t interfere with each other. Networking via HomePlug AV is also fast and
secure. The information being transferred is encrypted with a password to prevent third parties
from accessing it.
6.1 Reducing power consumption with the integrated standby mode
The standby mode is automatically activated whenever the adapter isn’t used for a certain amount of time. This reduces the power consumption considerably as compared to models without this mode. After all, your socket-based Powerline network should not only be convenient, but also use as little energy as possible.
A Powerline adapter that is connected to the computer can only go into power-saving mode if the network card of the computer that is switched off is also inactive. If you use a network card that remains active even when the computer is off (e.g. for Wake-on-LAN), we recommend connecting the computer to the power network using a power strip with an on/off switch so that both the computer and the integrated network card are disconnected from the power supply.
The Hama 600 Mbps Powerline adapter establishes a simple, fast connection via the internal power network. Thanks to the simple plug-and-play technology, you can connect routers, computers and other network-capable devices to one another.
Because the Socket model is equipped with an integrated electrical socket, you don’t have to give
up any sockets to use it. You can attach additional terminal devices by connecting a power strip
to the adapter.
Note – Child protection
- The device features an integrated child safety feature to protect any small children in your home. This feature prevents children from inserting sharp objects into the power connection and being injured by electric shocks.
6.2 Hama 600 Mbps Powerline at a glance
- Automatic data prioritising (Quality of Service) ensures interference-free video transmission and internet telephony, even if multiple people are surfing the internet at the same time.
- The integrated mains filter significantly improves data transfers in your home network.
- Easy AES data encryption at the touch of a button.
- With a high data throughput of up to 600 Mbps, the Hama 600 Mbps Powerline adapter is ideal for all multimedia content, including films in HD, IPTV and gaming.
- High data range of 300 metres between the adapters and reliable network speed for setting up a home network.
6.3 Application examples
6.3.1 Individual workstation internet solution
6.3.2 Networking two computers
6.3.3 Multi-workstation internet solution
7. Getting Started
In this section, you will learn everything you need to know about setting up your Powerline network. We describe the functions of the device and show you how to connect it.
The Socket Powerline adapter features an integrated electrical socket, a network connection and
the encryption button.
7.2 LEDs and Network Connection
7.3 Network connection
Connect the Hama Powerline adapter to a computer or another device with a network port using
the included network cable.
7.4 Integrated electrical socket
If you connect other devices using a power strip, plug the power strip into the socket of the Hama Socket 600 Mbps Powerline adapter. The integrated mains filter eliminates any noise from the devices connected and significantly improves data transfers in your home network.
7.5 Encryption button
You will find the encryption button beneath the LED lights on the front of the Powerline adapter. In our case the button is displayed as Pair/RST.
To get more details about the encryption function, please check section 8.2 Encrypting your
Power line network.
7.6 Connecting the Hama 600 Mbps Powerline adapter
- Only operate the product from a socket that has been approved for the device.
The socket must be installed close to the product and must be easily accessible.
- Disconnect the product from the power supply using the On/Off switch – if this is not
available, unplug the power cord from the socket.
- If you will not be using the product for a prolonged period, disconnect it from mains power.
- Connect the Powerline adapter to a network connection on your computer (computer must be switched on) or to another network device using the included network cable.
- Connect the adapter to a properly installed and easily accessible mains socket.
- You can connect other devices to the power supply network using a power strip by plugging the power strip into the integrated socket of the Hama Socket 600 Mbps Powerline adapter.
After you have connected at least two Powerline 600 adapters as described, the setup for your Powerline network is complete. To protect your Powerline network’s security, continue with the configuration. You can read more about this in the next section, Powerline Networks.
8. Powerline Networks
8.1 Security in the Powerline network
Before you can use the Hama 600 Mbps Powerline adapter in your Powerline network, you must
first connect it to other Powerline devices to create a home network. Two specific tips are particularly important here:
A closed Powerline network is created through the use of a common Powerline password for
access control. The common Powerline password is used for network encryption to prevent unauthorised access to the data being transferred.
You can define the Powerline password automatically using the encryption button.
- The Hama 600 Mbps Powerline adapters come equipped with the HomePlug AV default
- For reasons of security, we urgently recommend that you protect your Powerline network using the encryption button as soon as you have finished installing and starting it up. This generates an individualised 128-bit AES key that cannot be read outside the network and reliably protects your network from unauthorised external access.
8.2 Encrypting your Powerline network using the encryption button
To encrypt a Powerline network all connected devices needs to be equipped with an encryption
- Encryption cannot be performed when the device is in standby mode.
Encrypting a new Powerline network with two Hama Socket 600 Mbps Powerline adapters.
After you have successfully connected the two adapters, it is needed to delete the standard password. Push the security/reset button on your device for 10 seconds. (refer picture step 3) All LED´s on the adapter will switch off for an view seconds and the adapter is rebooting then. Afterwards the DATA LED is still switched off.
Encryption of the devices.
To begin with the encryption, please push the Security/Reset button for 2 seconds on the first
powerline adapter. The Power LED is now fulshing. You have an time-frame of 2 minutes to push the same Secuirty/Reset button on the other powerline adapter. Now both adapters are trying to apply an new security key. Please wait for another 5 minutes to make sure the encrytpion are done. Check whether the power LED, network LED and DATA LED are lit on all the devices.
Your Powerline network is now protected.
8.3 Expanding an existing Powerline network by adding a new Hama 600 Mbps Powerline adapter
If your existing Powerline network is already secured using the encryption button, you can proceed in the same way as describte in chapter 8.2 in order to integrate additonal adapters.
8.4 Removing a Hama 600 Mbps Powerline adapter from your network.
To remove a Hama 600 Mbps Powerline adapter from an existing network, press and hold the
encryption button of the adapter in question for at least 10 seconds. This device receives a new
randomly generated password and is therefore removed from your network. To integrate it into
another Powerline network later, proceed as described above, depending on whether you want to
create a new network or expand an existing one.
9.1 Bandwidth optimisation
To significantly improve your network’s data transmission, we recommend that you observe the
following connection guidelines: Plug the device straight into a wall socket instead of a power
strip. You should connect other network devices to the power supply network using a power strip by plugging the power strip into the integrated socket of the Hama Socket 600 Mbps Powerline adapter. To make optimal use of the Hama Socket 600 Mbps Powerline adapter’s filter function and improve data transfers in your network, always plug the power strip into the socket in the Hama Socket 600 Mbps Powerline adapter. If you need to supply other devices with power, use a wall socket that is further away.
9.2 Care and maintenance
Disconnect the device from the power supply before cleaning it or if it is not going to be used for a long period of time.
- Only clean this product with a slightly damp, lint-free cloth and do not use aggressive cleaning agents.
- Make sure that water does not get into the product.
9.3 Warranty disclaimer
Hama GmbH & Co. KG assumes no liability and provides no warranty for damage resulting from improper installation/mounting, improper use of the product or from failure to observe the operating instructions and/or safety notes.
10. Recycling Information
Note on environmental protection:
After the implementation of the European Directive 2012/19/EU and 2006/66/EU in the national legal system, the following applies: Electric and electronic devices as well as
batteries must not be disposed of with household waste. Consumers are obliged by law
to return electrical and electronic devices as well as batteries at the end of their service lives to the public collecting points set up for this purpose or point of sale. Details to this are defined
by the national law of the respective country. This symbol on the product, the instruction
manual or the package indicates that a product is subject to these regulations. By recycling, reusing the materials or other forms of utilising old devices/Batteries, you are making an important contribution to protecting our environment.
11. Declaration of Conformity
Hereby, Hama GmbH & Co KG declares that the radio equipment type  is in
compliance with Directive 2014/53/EU. The full text of the EU declaration of conformity is available at the following internet address: www.hama.com -> 00053307 -> Downloads.
Hama GmbH & Co KG
Service & Support
+49 9091 502-0
All listed brands are trademarks of the corresponding companies. Errors and omissions excepted, and subject to technical changes. Our general terms of delivery and payment are applied.
Read More About This Manual & Download PDF: