HAMRON 010933 Battery Charge Tester
- Working with lead-acid batteries can result in the risk of personal injury and/or material damage. Batteries emit explosive gas during normal use.
- Follow these instructions, the battery manufacturer’s instructions, and the instructions for other equipment used in the vicinity of the battery to reduce the risk of the battery exploding. Carefully read all instructions and warnings on the battery tester, the battery and the product that the battery will be used for, before using the battery tester.
- Do not expose the battery tester to rain or moisture.
- Wear eye protection and protective clothing when working with lead-acid batteries.
- Ensure that there is always another person within earshot who can come and help, if necessary, when working with or near lead-acid batteries.
- Make sure you have access to plenty of clean water and soap, in case you get battery acid on your skin, clothes or in your eyes. Wash immediately with soap and water if battery acid comes into contact with your skin or clothes.
- Avoid touching your eyes when working with batteries. You can get corrosive acid in your eyes! If you get battery acid in your eyes, rinse immediately with cold, running water for at least 70 minutes. Seek medical attention immediately.
- Remove all metal objects from your body (rings, bracelets, necklaces, watch, etc.)
- when working with lead-acid batteries. If a ring or other similar item comes into direct or indirect electrical contact with the battery terminals, the lead-acid battery can produce a short-circuit current that can melt the metal, which can result in serious burns.
- Do not allow tools or any other metal object to come into contact with the battery. Metal objects can cause sparking or short-circuit batteries and other electrical devices. Sparks can cause explosions.
- Do not smoke. Do not allow sparks or naked flames to come near the battery or engine. Batteries emit explosive gas.
- Button [Enter J to confirm selection.
- Buttons [ + J and[-] for selection and setting of test parameters.
- Clean the battery terminals and lugs. If necessary use a brass brush to remove oxide and impurities. Make sure that the lugs are in good contact with the battery terminals.
- Check that the battery casing is not cracked or otherwise damaged. Do not use the battery tester on damaged batteries.
- To obtain accurate and reliable results, fully charge the battery and leave it to stand for at least 1 hour, preferably up to 5 hours, to stabilise.
IMPORTANT: The battery tester can be damaged if it is connected to a voltage higher than 18 VDC.
COLD START/CCA TEST (ONLY12 V)
A cold start test (Cold Crank Amps, CCA) checks the condition of the battery and calculates its cold start current. Connect the battery tester to the battery, red contact clip to positive terminal (+), black contact clip to negative terminal(-). The battery tester shows the battery voltage.
- Press [Enter] to go to battery type selection.
- Select battery type: VRLA/GEL, AGM SPIRAL, AGM FLAT, REGULAR or REGULAR LIQUID with the buttons [+]and[-]. Press ENTER to confirm the selection and continue.
- Use the buttons [+]and[-] to set the battery’s nominal cold start current (specified on battery). The setting takes place in steps oflO A.
- Press [Enter] to start the test. The result is shown in a few seconds.
- Press Enter] again to start a new test and repeat the above process.
- The battery tester shows an error message (RED CLIP UNCONNECTED BLACK CLIP UNCONNECTED) if the battery lugs are not connected correctly.
- If the battery voltage exceeds 15 V the battery tester shows a warning message (CHECK CONNECTION/VOLTAGE HIGH).
- It is not possible to go back to the previous setting if battery type or cold start current has already been selected and confirmed. The contact clips on the battery tester must be disconnected and a new selection made from the beginning.
BATTERY TEST RESULT GOOD BATTERY
The battery is in good condition and can be reused.
GOOD & RECHARGE
The battery is in good condition, but needs to be charged.
CHARGE & RETEST
Fully charge the battery and redo the test. The result can be misleading if the battery is not fully charged before repeating the test. The battery should be replaced if CHARGE & RETEST is shown again after the battery has been fully charged and tested again.
The battery is in poor condition and must be replaced immediately.
BAD CELL & REPLACE
Replace the battery immediately.