Honeywell HPA8350 Series Air Purifier
IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS
READ AND SAVE THESE SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USING THIS AIR PURIFIER
When using electrical appliances, basic precautions should always be followed to reduce the risk of fire, electric shock, and injury to persons, including the following:
- Read all instructions before operating the air purifier.
- Place air purifier where it would not be easily overturned.
- ALWAYS turn the air purifier controls to the OFF position and unplug from the wall outlet when not in use.
- To disconnect the air purifier, make sure the unit is powered OFF then grip the plug and pull it from the wall outlet. NEVER pull by the cord.
- DO NOT use any product with a damaged cord or plug, any product that malfunctions, or any product that has been dropped or damaged in any manner.
- DO NOT use air purifier outdoors.
- NEVER use air purifier unless it is fully assembled.
- DO NOT run power cord under carpets, and
- DO NOT cover with throw rugs. Arrange cord such that it will not be a tripping hazard.
- DO NOT use air purifier where combustible gases or vapors are present.
- DO NOT expose the air purifier to rain, or use near water, in a bathroom, laundry area, or other damp location.
- The air purifier must be used in its upright position.
- DO NOT allow foreign objects to enter ventilation or exhaust opening as this may cause electric shock or damage to the air purifier. DO NOT block air outlets or intakes.
- Locate air purifier near the outlet and avoid using an extension cord or power strip.
- This appliance has a polarized plug (one blade is wider than the other). To reduce the risk of electric shock, this plug is intended to fit only one way in a polarized outlet. If the plug does not fit fully in the outlet, reverse the plug. If it still does not fit, contact a qualified electrician. DO NOT attempt to defeat this safety feature.
- A loose fit between the AC outlet (receptacle) and plug may cause overheating and a distortion of the plug. Contact a qualified electrician to replace loose or worn outlet.
- DO NOT sit, stand, or place heavy objects on the air purifier.
- ALWAYS disconnect power supply before servicing.
- SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS.
For FCC compliance information, please see last page of this manual. For ICES compliance see page 7.
WARNING: To Reduce The Risk of Fire or Electric Shock, DO NOT Use This Air Purifier With Any Solid-State Speed Control Device.
YOUR AIR PURIFIER
HOW YOUR AIR PURIFIER WORKS
This model air purifier incorporates a 2-stage cleaning system to help clean the air that passes through the filter in the unit (Fig. 1).
Stage 1: Odor Reducing Pre-filter
Stage 2: Certified HEPA Filters capture particles as small as 0.3 microns or larger*
*From the air that passes through the filter
- Select a firm, level, and flat location.
- When operating, large volumes of air are drawn toward the air purifier. Surrounding areas should be cleaned and/or vacuumed frequently to prevent build-up of dust and other contaminants. This may also help prolong the life of the filter. If the unit is placed on a light-colored carpet, a small mat or rug should be used underneath to prevent permanent staining. This is especially important in homes with contamination from smoking, fireplaces, or where candles are burned.
- Ensure the front of the unit faces away from the closest wall or furniture.
- Ensure no grilles are blocked.
INSTALL HEPA FILTERS AND ODOR-REDUCING PRE-FILTER
The HEPA Filters and Odor Reducing Pre-filter are supplied within the air purifier. New air purifiers have their filters wrapped to ensure purity, and are labeled to help identify the proper replacement filter (Type R Certified HEPA Filter and Type-A Odor Reducing Pre-filter).
- Before using your new air purifier you must remove the wrappers covering the filters and pre-filter. Make sure the air purifier is OFF and unplugged. Press the two hand symbols on the
front grille to release it from the unit and pull the grille toward you to remove it (see Fig. 2). Grasp the sides of the filter frame near its top end and pull outward. Repeat for the second and third filters (if applicable).
- Remove protective wrap from the filters (including the pre-filter) that have been supplied with your air purifier.
- Place the HEPA filters into the air purifier housing. Ensure that the removal “pull” tabs are facing outward (this will facilitate filter removal later). Place the pre-filter in front of the HEPA filters. Secure the edges of the pre-filter to fasteners located around the edges of where the HEPA filters are inserted. These will hold the pre-filter securely in place.
- Replace the front grille by placing the tabs on the bottom of the grille into the slot(s) on the unit. Gently push the top of the grille into place by pressing on the hand symbols to secure in place.
NOTE: This air purifier is an app enabled device. These instructions cover the operation of the air purifier device only. For additional features available via the Honeywell Portable Air Purifier App, please reference the instructions that are printed as a stand alone insert to this booklet.
This product earned the ENERGY STAR® rating by meeting strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the U.S. EPA. The U.S. EPA does not endorse any manufacturer claims of healthier indoor air from the use of this product. The energy efficiency of this ENERGY STAR qualified model is based on a ratio between the model’s Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) for Dust and the electrical energy it consumes, or CADR/Watt.
Portable air purifiers are more effective in rooms where all doors and windows are closed. It is recommended that you run your air purifier while you are at home to help clean the air.
Air Purifier Operation
- Once the filters have been unwrapped and replaced in the unit, plug the power cord into a working electrical outlet. TAP POWER for on/off and then select your cleaning level.
- Select the cleaning level by simply TAPPING the desired purification button. A blue LED will illuminate the selected setting: Germ, General Clean or Allergen.
ALLERGEN optimizes allergen capturing performance during allergen season.
GENERAL CLEAN for general, everyday air cleaning.
GERM optimizes germ capturing performance. Use during cold & flu season.
TURBO for power cleaning or fast odor reduction.
- The Turbo setting operates the unit at the highest speed. This setting will maximize the unit’s ability to help reduce odors and will help clean the air quickly. To select the Turbo setting, TAP the Turbo icon
The Turbo LED will illuminate. TAPPING the Turbo icon again will return the air purifier to the previous cleaning setting. To shut OFF, tap the Power symbol until the air purifier shuts off.
Using the Timer Option:
The Timer Option allows you to select how long the air purifier will run before it automatically shuts off. The timer can be set in one hour intervals from one to eighteen hours. Do not use this option if you want the unit to run continuously.
- To set the unit for Automatic Shut Off, TAP the up or down arrows.
- Continue to TAP the arrow to toggle through to the desired time setting.
- The digital timer will indicate the selected run time (Fig. 3).
- The LED Display will automatically count down and display the number of hours left on the timer.
- The unit will automatically shut off after the indicated run time.
Using the Dimmer Option
The Dimmer Option allows you to adjust the brightness of the LEDs on the control panel (Fig. 4)You may wish to adjust the brightness depending on the room where the unit is placed. The unit always turns on with the brightness on HIGH.
To adjust brightness:
- TAP the Dimmer icon once to dim the lights to LOW.
- TAP the Dimmer icon twice and it will shut the lights OFF.
(the air purifier will not shut off).
- TAPPING the Dimmer icon a third time will return the brightness to HIGH.
NOTE: The Power and the Bluetooth icon will always remain illuminated.
Using the VOC Function:
This HEPA air purifier has a built-in sensor that detects when Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) are present in the room air. VOCs are gases that are emitted from certain household cleaning products, home improvement, and even common home decor products. These gases can be harmful or irritating if inhaled. When the VOC auto sensing mode is selected, the upper left indicator light will illuminate blue and the air purifier will automatically operate at the appropriate cleaning level to reduce these gases. The lower right indicator will illuminate green, amber, or red depending on the level of VOCs detected in the room by the sensor..
Green = Low level of VOCs detected, the air purifier will operate in the lowest setting, Germ.
Amber = Moderate level of VOCs detected, air purifier will operate in the medium level setting, General Clean.
Red = High level of VOCs detected, air purifier will operate in the Allergen setting.
The air purifier will continue to monitor the VOC levels in the room and adjust the cleaning levels as necessary.
ELECTRONIC FILTER CHANGE REMINDER
This air purifier has two electronic filter check lights to remind you when to check and replace the HEPA Filters and Odor Reducing Pre-filter. The “Filters” or “Pre-Filter” light will illuminate when the HEPA filters
and/or the pre-filter needs to be replaced. These indicator lights are based on the number of hours the air purifier has been in use. Depending on the environment and contaminants in the area, the filters may need to be changed before the recommended time (Fig. 6).
You should periodically check these filters. Depending on operating conditions, the HEPA filters should be replaced every 12 months, and the Odor Reducing Pre-Filter every 3 months, especially if there have been heavy odors and particles in the home.
To RESET Either Electronic Filter Check:
After you have replaced the appropriate filters, plug the unit back in. The “Check Filters” or “Check Pre-Filter” light will remain on until it is reset. With the unit powered OFF, press the lighted button and hold for approximately 3 seconds until the light turns off. The electronic filter check is now reset. Depending on individual usage
(environment and hours used), you may need to replace filters more or less frequently.
NOTE: If you change the Pre-filter or HEPA Filter before the Electronic Filter Check lights are illuminated, you should still reset the indicator. With the unit plugged in and powered off, press and hold the appropriate “Filters” or “Pre-Filter” button for 5 seconds. The light will flash red twice to signal that the indicator has been reset.
These cleaning intervals are intended as guidelines only. Performance of any filter media is dependent upon the concentration of contaminants going through the system. High concentrations of contaminants such as dust, pet dander, and smoking will reduce the useful performance of the filter.
NOTE: None of the filters are washable. DO NOT immerse them in water.
REPLACING THE TRUE HEPA FILTERS
See INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS on page 3 of this manual.
See ACCESSORIES AND REPLACEMENT FILTERS on page 7 of this manual for replacement filter information.
CLEANING AND STORAGE
See INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS on page 3 of this manual.
See ACCESSORIES AND REPLACEMENT FILTERS on page 7 of this manual for replacement filter information.
CLEANING AND STORAGE
We recommend that you clean the air purifier at least once every 3 months and before extended storage. Use only a dry cloth to wipe the external surfaces of the air purifier.
DO NOT USE WATER, WAX POLISH, OR ANY CHEMICAL SOLUTION.
If your Air Purifier will not be used for more than 30 days, we recommend that you:
- Remove the HEPA Filters from the unit.
- Wrap the HEPA Filters in an air-tight plastic bag.
- Remove the Odor Reducing Pre-filter and place it in an air-tight plastic bag.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
My Air Purifier is starting to make noise and the air output is less. What’s wrong?
The filters may be dirty. High amounts of contaminants can block the pores in the filter and stop the air from moving through it. Replace the Filters. The HEPA filters should be replaced every year and the Pre-filter should be replaced every 3 months. Please note these are guidelines only and filters should be checked periodically as individual home conditions may vary. To ensure the unit is performing properly, replace with Genuine Honeywell filters.
How long should I run my Air Purifier?
In general, the unit will be most effective when doors and windows are closed. It is recommended that you run your air purifier while you are at home to help clean the air. If desired or conditions warrant, you may run your air purifier 24 hours a day.
Can I wash any of the filters in my Air Purifier?
No. Washing either filter will ruin it.
What are VOCs?
Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) are emitted from various solids and liquids such as paints, cleaning supplies, building materials, and permanent markers. Some of these compounds can have adverse short and long term health effects and consistently have higher concentrations indoors than outside.
Why did my Air Purifier suddenly turn on a higher setting?
Is the air purifier set to VOC Mode, or Auto-Set mode from the App? If it is, the unit may have sensed a higher level of VOCs or Allergens and have adjusted the cleaning level accordingly.
ACCESSORIES AND REPLACEMENT FILTERS
To ensure stated product performance, use only Genuine Honeywell Replacement Filters. The Certified HEPA Filters should be replaced every 12 months and the Odor Reducing Pre-filter should be replaced every 3 months, especially if there have been heavy odors and particles in the home.
You may purchase Genuine Honeywell Replacement Filters at the retailer where you purchased your air purifier or order directly from www.replacementfilters.com.
- Certified HEPA filter R Model HRF-R1 (single pack) or HRF-R2 (2 pack) or HRF-R3 (3 pack)
- Odor Reducing Pre-filter A model HRF-AP1 or Household Gas & Odor Reducing
THIS DEVICE COMPLIES WITH INDUSTRY CANADA LICENSE-EXEMPT RSS-210
Operation is subject to the following two conditions:
- this device may not cause interference, and
- this device must accept any interference, including interference that may cause undesired operation of the device.
5 YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY
You should first read all instructions before attempting to use this product.
A. This 5 year limited warranty applies to repair or replacement of product found to be defective in material or workmanship. This warranty does not apply to damage resulting from commercial, abusive, unreasonable use
or supplemental damage. Defects that are
the result of normal wear and tear will not be considered manufacturing defects under this warranty. KAZ IS NOT LIABLE FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY NATURE, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ON THIS PRODUCT IS LIMITED IN DURATION TO THE DURATION OF THIS WARRANTY. Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages or limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitations or exclusions may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you also may have other rights which vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. This warranty applies only to the original purchaser of this product from the original date of purchase.
B. At its option, Kaz will repair or replace this product if it is found to be defective in material or workmanship.
C. This warranty does not cover damage resulting from any unauthorized attempts to repair or from any use not in accordance with the instruction manual.
D. This warranty does not cover the HEPA filters or the pre-filters, except for material or workmanship defects.
Call us toll-free at: 1-800-477-0457
E-mail: [email protected]
Or visit our website at: www.HoneywellPluggedIn.com
Please be sure to specify a model number.
NOTE: IF YOU EXPERIENCE A PROBLEM, PLEASE CONTACT CONSUMER RELATIONS FIRST OR SEE YOUR WARRANTY. DO NOT RETURN TO THE UNIT TO THE ORIGINAL PLACE OF PURCHASE. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO OPEN THE MOTOR HOUSING YOURSELF, DOING SO MAY VOID YOUR WARRANTY AND CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE AIR PURIFIER OR PERSONAL INJURY.
FCC COMPLIANCE /CONFORMITY
NOTE: This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B digital device, pursuant to
Part 15 of the FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in
a residential installation. This equipment generates, uses, and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communications. However, there is no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular installation. If this equipment does cause harmful interference to radio or television reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment off and on, the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or more of the following measures:
- Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
- Increase the separation between the equipment and receiver.
- Connect the equipment into an outlet on a circuit different from that to which the receiver is connected.
- Consult the dealer or an experienced radio TV technician for help.
© 2018 All Rights Reserved.
Kaz USA, Inc., a Helen of Troy Company
400 Donald Lynch Blvd., Suite 300, Marlborough, MA 01752
Honeywell is a trademark of Honeywell International Inc., used under license by Helen of Troy Limited.
The ENERGY STAR® name and mark are registered trademarks owned by the U.S. EPA.
The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by Kaz USA, Inc. is under license. Other trademarks and trade names are those of their respective owners.
Distributed by: Kaz Canada, Inc., a Helen of Troy Company
6700 Century Avenue, Suite 210, Mississauga, Ontario L5N 6A4
Contact us at 1-800-477-0457 or www.HoneywellPluggedIn.com
For Responsible recycling, please visit:
RECYCLE NATION www.RecycleNation.com
Quality Requirement of Artwork and Quality Clarification Pocess of Artwork Printing: Meet Eng-QS-06&02
Kaz USA, Inc., a Helen of Troy Company Creative Services
Marlborough, 01752 MA, USA
+1 508 490 7000