Kowa Spotting Scopes TSN-550 Series Instruction Manual
Thank you for purchasing your Kowa TSN-550 Series spotting scope. Please take a few minutes to read the following instruction manual in order to better understand the operation, capabilities, care and maintenance of your spotting scope.
Features and Specifications
- Objective Lens Cap
- Soft Case
- Eyepiece Cap
- Instruction Manual (this document)
Main Body Specifications
＊Filter threads on the objective.
＊Specifications and appearance of the product are subject to change without prior notice.
Functions and Use
- Sliding Hood with Alignment Sight
Slide the hood away from the body to protect the lens from exposure to rain or to keep direct sunlight from entering the spotting scope. When the object you wish to view is difficult to find, the sight built into the lens hood can be used to find the object.
- Filter Threads
The filter threads in front of the objective lens allow various types of filters to be attached to the spotting scope.
- Focus Knob
The focus knob of the spotting scope has a two-step mechanism; one for fine focusing and one for quick focusing. This system allows a smooth transition from quick focusing to fine adjustment. The minimum focus distance is 3 m.
[ Focusing ]
When the object is substantially out of focus, use the quick focus knob, to bring the object into focus 3 times faster than when using the fine focus knob. The quick focus knob can focus from 5m to infinity in only two revolutions.
The fine focus is convenient for fine focusing and slight adjustments.
* Do not turn the focus knob beyond its turning range, as it will damage the focusing mechanism.
Digital Camera Adapter
Camera Mount (T-Ring)
Canon Eos, Nikon F, Pentax K, Sony E, micro4/3
Mounting onto a Spotting Scope
- Remove the Twist-up eyecup of the Eyepiece.
- Thread the Digital Camera Adapter (TSN-DA1A) onto the Eyepiece accessory mount threads.
- Thread the Adapter Ring (TSN-AR42T) onto the Outer Tube.
- Thread the KOWA camera mount (TSN-CM2) onto the Adapter Ring (TSN-AR42T).
- Attach a camera to the KOWA camera mount.
- Photo Adapter for iPhone
TSN-IP4S iPhone 4, 4S
TSN-IP5 iPhone 5, 5S, iPhone SE
TSN-IP6 iPhone 6, 6S
In order to take a photograph with your iPhone using a TSN-550 scope, the Photo Adapter for iPhone and Adapter Ring TSN-AR66Z are required separately.
Mounting onto a Spotting Scope
Twist the eyecup down by turning it clockwise. Slide the adapter ring over the eyecup.
Do not use unreasonable or excessive force when attaching the adapter ring.
- Removal Method
When removing the main body, please support the eyecup with your fingers. Do not apply excessive force to the eyecup as it may cause damage to the eyecup.
Focus Method: Focus using the focusing knob of the spotting scope.
Due to super-telephoto imaging, it will be more difficult than usual to set the focus.
If you are unsure whether or not the image is properly focused, set the focus while looking through the eyepiece of the spotting scope before mounting your iPhone.
For more details on the correct method of using the iPhone adapter please refer to the instruction manual supplied with the iPhone adapter.
Maintenance and Storage
Care and cleaning of the lens
- Use a blower, can of air, or soft oil-free brush to remove dust from the lens surface.
- Fingerprints and other substances left on the lens surface can cause mold growth. After removing dust, lightly wipe the lens with a soft lens cloth, gauze, or cleaning paper (available at a camera shop) dampened with a small amount of lens cleaner. Wipe the lens surface gently in a circular motion, starting from the center and working out to the edge. If the lens surface is still dirty repeat the process again, using a new piece of cleaning paper or an unused portion of the cloth. After this, use the moisture from your breath to fog the lens and wipe it clean, using a new piece of cleaning paper or cloth.
- A commercial lens cleaner can leave behind a film on the lens surface so use as small a quantity as possible.
How to clean the body
- Remove dust and debris with a blower or can of air and wipe with a clean soft cloth. Do not use solvents such as acetone, benzene, paint thinner, or products that contain these solvents to clean the body. These products can discolor or deform the outer surface of the body.
- Carefully brush dirt and debris from the focus knob, sliding hood, and other moving parts.
- Storing the spotting scope without cleaning can leave stains on the surface and promote mold growth. Cleaning is especially important after using the spotting scope in dusty or humid conditions, or after use in the rain or near the coast.
- After cleaning, allow the spotting scope to dry thoroughly indoors at room temperature, replace all lens caps, and then store the spotting scope in a dry place. Place the spotting scope in an airtight container together with desiccant when storing for extended periods of time.
- Never look at the sun. Severe eye damage could occur up to the permanent loss of eyesight.
- Make sure that small pieces and packaging such as eyepiece caps, covers, plastic bags etc. are out of the reach of children. If such an item is swallowed, serious injury, suffocation, or death could occur.
- Set the spotting scope correctly, otherwise it may fall, causing damage or injury.
- Do not place the spotting scope in an unstable location. If it falls or tips over, injury may occur.
- Do not leave the product in direct sunlight. Fire may occur.
- Do not leave the product near open flames, inside a car, or in any place where extreme temperatures may occur. This can cause optical damage and lead to the failure of waterproofing.
- Skin inflammation or irritation may occur by long term contact with rubber parts. If such a condition occurs, consult a physician.
- When using the spotting scope in an urban setting, make sure that you do not disturb the privacy of others.
- This product is waterproof which allows for use in the rain. However, immersion in water and use of the focus knob when wet should be avoided whenever possible.
- Do not attempt to repair or open up the spotting scope body. This will void the warranty
- Inquiry about repair
If there is a need to return your scope to the manufacturer for repair or maintenance, please contact Kowa’s distributor.
* Kowa is not responsible for any damage caused by mishandling and or natural disasters such as, fire, earthquakes, floods, etc.
* Kowa is not responsible for any damage caused by an unauthorized service center.