NETGEAR Next Gen Gigabit LTE Mobile Router User Guide
|Nighthawk M2 Status Bar Icon|
|Signal strength||1 bar – low signal
S bars – strong signal
HSPA+ /DC HSPA
|Roaming||Connected to a network other than Telstra’s|
Solid. Sending or receiving None. Not connected
|Battery||5 bars. Fully charged 1 bar. Battery low|
|Battery hot while charging||The battery is hot, but is being charged|
|Battery hot, not charging||The battery is too hot and is not being charged|
|Alert||To view system alerts, go to the Nighthawk M2 Mobile router’s home page, http://m.home|
You can use touch screen icons and other screen elements to view the Nighthawk M2 mobile router’s status, configure WiFi, configure band settings, view data usage details, and view system alerts.
Advanced configuration and features
- To access advanced configuration settings and features, log in to the Nighthawk M2 mobile router’s home page:
- Launch a web browser from a device that is connected to the Nighthawk M2 mobile router.
- In the address field of the web browser, enter http://m.home or http://192.168.1.1.
- In the Sign In field, enter the admin password and click the Sign In button.
See the label located under the battery for the initial admin password. We recommend that you change it to a password that you want to use.
Upload media files to the Nighthawk M2 mobile router
You can upload media files to either a USB drive connected to the Nighthawk M2 mobile router. USB drives are sold separately.
- Log in to the Nighthawk M2 mobile router home page.
- Click the MyMedia tab.
- Drag and drop your files onto the page.
Use the Nighthawk M2 mobile router to charge devices
If the battery power is low on your smartphone or other device, you can give it a boost by connecting it to the Nighthawk M2 mobile router’s USB port A connector.Jump boost begins automatically once the devices are connected. Note that Jump boost is only supported when the Nighthawk M2 mobile router contains a battery.
|Slow blue blink||The Nighthawk M2 router is ready.|
|Fast blue blink||The Nighthawk M2 router is transferring data.|
|Slow amber blink||The Nighthawk M2 router is not ready.|
|Turn on the router.||Press and hold the Power button for three seconds|
|Turn off the router.||Press and hold the Power button for five seconds.|
|Wake the router.||Press and quickly release the Power button.|
|LTE CAT 20, up to 5-band CA and 4×4
|WiFi: Full Dual-Band/Dual-Concurrent
|WiFi 802.11 b/g/n 2.4 GHz|
|3G 850/900/1900/2100 MHz||WiFi 802.11 a/n/ac 5 GHz|
From the Nighthawk M2 mobile router home page (http://m.home), click the three dot icon in the upper right corner to access help and support files.
Direct all calls and support for PIN numbers, SIM card registration, account and billing information, network services, and other general enquiries to Telstra at 13 22 00.
Direct general enquiries to Telstra at livechat.telstra.com.
See your warranty card for warranty and service information.
For additional information, visit netgear.com/support to access the full user manual and to download firmware updates.
Next Gen Gigabit LTE Mobile Router
Please read all the safety notices before using this device. This device is designed to be used at least 20 cm from your body. Do not use the device near fuel or chemicals or in any areas such as service stations, refineries, hospitals, or aircraft. Obey all warning signs where posted.
Radio frequency safety information. The device includes an internal antenna. For optimum performance with minimum power consumption, do not shield the device or cover it with any object. Covering the antenna affects signal quality, might cause the router to operate at a higher power level than needed, and might shorten battery life.
Radio frequency energy. Your wireless device is a low-power radio transmitter and receiver. When switched on, it intermittently transmits radio frequency (RF) energy (radio waves). The transmit power level is optimised for best performance and is automatically reduced when there is good quality reception. Maximum power is used only at the edge of network coverage so under most circumstances the power output is very low. Under poor network conditions the device transmits at a higher power,and might get hot, and battery life might be significantly shorter.
Declaration of conformity – specific absorption rate (SAR). Your device is designed to be used at least 20 cm from the body. We declare that the product detailed in this manual, and in combination with our accessories, conforms with the essential requirements of the Radio Communications Standard (Electromagnetic IC Radiation Human Exposure) 2003 and the Australian Communications and Media Authority Section 376 of the Telecommunications Act 1997 when used at a distance of not less than 20 cm from the body.
- Nighthawk M2 mobile router
- Quick start guide
- Bottom cover
- Type-C USB cable
- AC power adapter
Note: Quick start guide and bottom cover are in an envelope.
Check the SIM card and insert the battery
- Make sure that power to the Nighthawk M2 mobile router is off.
- Check to see if a SIM card is in the SIM card slot.
- If a SIM card is not in the slot, locate the SIM card.
- To get a valid and provisioned SIM card, contact your mobile provider. Carefully slide the micro SIM card into the slot with the gold contacts facing down. The SIM card icon illustrates the orientation.
- Align the battery connectors and insert the battery making sure the contact side of the battery goes under the two plastic tabs in the battery recess.
- Replace the mobile router cover.
Download the NETGEAR Mobile app
Use the NETGEAR Mobile app to change your WiFi network name and password. You can also use it to play and share media, and enable the travel router feature.
- Connect your mobile device to the Internet.
- Download the NETGEAR Mobile app from netgear.com/mobileapps.
Set up the device
- Press and hold the Power button on the Nighthawk M2 mobile router for three seconds. After several seconds the screen to set up your device displays. (After you set up your device, the first screen that displays is the home screen.)
- Use the onscreen instructions to change the SSID, passphrase, and admin password, or use the NETGEAR Mobile app, or visit http://m.home or http://192.168.1.1 from a device that is connected to the Nighthawk M2 mobile router.
Note: Although not required, we strongly recommend you change the SSID, passphrase, and admin password.
Connect your devices
- Check to make sure that WiFi is enabled on your computer or mobile device and search for WiFi networks.
Windows Click the Internet Access icon, which is usually found on
the bottom right side of your screen.
Mac Select WiFi > Network. Mobile devices Tap Settings > WiFi.
- To view the WiFi name and password, press and release the Power button.
- Select the WiFi name displayed on your Nighthawk M2 mobile router screen.
- Enter the WiFi password exactly as shown on the Nighthawk M2 mobile router screen. Note: Your password is case-sensitive. We strongly recommend that you
change the default admin password.
- To use the router as an Internet gateway, connect an Ethernet device to the Nighthawk M2 mobile router Ethernet port.
Device indicator panel
The device indicator panel shows you the status of your Nighthawk M2 mobile router.
NETGEAR INTL LTD
Building 3, University Technology Centre
Curraheen Road, Cork, Ireland
© NETGEAR, Inc., NETGEAR, the NETGEAR logo and the Nighthawk
|logo are trademarks of NETGEAR, Inc. Any non‑NETGEAR trademarks
are used for reference purposes only.