PHILIPS HP8401 Straightener
Read this user manual carefully before you use the appliance and keep it for future reference.
- WARNING: Do not use this appliance near water.
- When the appliance is used in a bathroom, unplug it after use since the proximity of water presents a risk, even when the appliance is switched off.
- WARNING: Do not use this appliance near bathtubs, showers, basins, or other vessels containing water.
- Always unplug the appliance after use.
- If the main cord is damaged, you must have it replaced by Philips, a service center authorized by Philips or similarly qualified persons in order to avoid a hazard.
- This appliance can be used by children aged 8 years and above and persons with reduced physical, sensory or mental capabilities or lack of experience and knowledge if they have been given supervision or instruction concerning use of the appliance in a safe way and understand the hazards involved. Children shall not play with the appliance. Cleaning and user maintenance shall not be made by children without supervision.
- Before you connect the appliance, ensure that the voltage indicated on the appliance corresponds to the local power voltage.
- Do not use the appliance for any other purpose than described in this manual.
- Do not use the appliance on artificial hair.
- When the appliance is connected to the power, never leave it unattended.
- Never use any accessories or parts from other manufacturers or that Philips does not specifically recommend. If you use such accessories or parts, your guarantee becomes invalid.
- Do not wind the main cord around the appliance.
- Wait until the appliance has cooled down before you store it.
- Pay full attention when using the appliance since it could be extremely hot. Only hold the handle as other parts are hot and avoid contact with the skin.
- Always place the appliance with the stand on a heat-resistant, stable flat surface. The hot heating plates should never touch the surface or other flammable material.
- Avoid the main cord from coming into contact with the hot Parts of the appliance.
- Keep the appliance away from flammable objects and material when it is switched on.
- Never cover the appliance with anything (e.g. a towel or clothing) when it is hot.
- Only use the appliance on dry hair.
- Do not operate the appliance with wet hands.
- Keep the heating plates clean and free of dust and styling products such as mousse, spray and gel. Never use the appliance in combination with styling products
- The heating plates has a coating. This coating might slowly wear away over time. However, this does not affect the performance of the appliance.
- If the appliance is used on color-treated hair, the heating plates may be stained.
- Always return the appliance to a service centre authorized by Philips for examination or repair. Repair by unqualified people could result in an extremely hazardous situation for the user.
- Do not pull on the power cord after using. Always unplug the appliance by holding the plug.
- For additional protection, we advise you to install a residual current device (RCD) in the electrical circuit that supplies the bathroom. This RCD must have a rated residual operating current not higher than 30mA. Ask your installer for advice.
- Burn hazard. Keep appliance out of reach from young children, particularly during use and cool down.
- Do not throw away the product with the normal household waste at the end of its life, but hand it in at an official collection point for recycling. By doing this, you help to preserve the environment.
- Follow your country’s rules for the separate collection of electrical and electronic products. Correct disposal helps prevent negative consequences for the environment and human health.
Straighten your hair
- Connect the plug to a power supply socket.
- Slide the on/off switch ( 3 ) to switch on the appliance.
- The power-on indicator ( 4 ) lights up.
- After 60 seconds, the appliance heats up.
- Comb your hair and take a section that is not wider than 5cm for straightening.
- Place the selected hair strand between the straightening plates ( 2 ) and press the handles firmly together.
- Slide the straightener down the length of the hair in a single motion (max. 5 seconds) from root to end, without stopping to prevent overheating.
- To create flicks, slowly turn the straightener half-circle inwards (or outwards) when it reaches the hair ends.
- To straighten the rest of your hair, repeat steps 3 to 5.
- Hold the handle only behind the thumb rest rib ( 1 ).
- Do not touch the tips of the straightener as it is hot and may cause instant burns.
- Do not touch other parts until it was completely cool down.
- Switch off the appliance and unplug it.
- Place it on a heat-resistant surface until it cools down.
- Clean the appliance and straighten plates by damp cloth.
- Keep it in a safe and dry place, free of dust. You can also hang it with the hanging loop ( e ).
Guarantee and service
If you need information e.g. about the replacement of an attachment or if you have a problem, please visit the Philips website at www.philips.com/support or contact the Philips Customer Care Centre in your country (you find its phone number in the worldwide guarantee leaflet). If there is no Consumer Care Centre in your country, go to your local Philips dealer.