RV WI-FI RV-WIFI-VLC Portable Wireless Internet WiFi
Welcome Congratulations on your purchase of an RV Wi-Fi Router. This purchase will give you greater freedom to enjoy your travelling without sacrificing the lifestyle that the internet provides.
The great features that are included in this unit are:
- Wi-Fi for your RV;
- Specially designed software for Recreational Vehicles;
- 12 volt power connection;
- Easy installation;
- Industrial Grade 3G/4G capability;
- Optimised for Telsta but will also work with most Australian Data providers.
- A built in media centre, allowing you to insert a hard drive (tested to 1Tb), or USB and share movies, images or music over multiple devices, Data free;
- Works on Mobile, Pre-Paid Plans and Data Share SIMS;
- Lets you set your own
- Improved Wi-Fi performance with two Wi-Fi antenna’s;
- Wi-Fi access for the family whilst towing your caravan;
- A ‘Hot Spot’ that stays with the caravan when your phone moves away;
- Access the internet from multiple devices.
- 3G Antenna – 4dB
- 4G Antenna – 4dB
- Draws 1A
The following steps are designed to get you started and on the road with ease.
What makes up your RV Wi-Fi Lite
Installing your RV Wi-Fi Lite
In most cases, your manufacturer will install at installing yourself, please follow the steps your RV Wi-Fi Lite for you. But if you are looking below.
|Choose a position for RV WI-FI Lite Router adjacent to a single 12v
|Screw the four black antenna into the four points – Wi-Fi/ 4G/ 3G/
Wi-Fi. Look for male/famale con-
|Plug the power adaper into the power jack of the RV WI-FI Lite Router;|
|Remove the middle Noosey Sim adapter from the pack. Insert an activated and credit loaded Nano SIM into the adapter and place in the SIM card slot. Failure to use this adapter will result in connec-
|Place the power cord into the single 12v power point and turn on;|
Ensure the ‘Power’ light is on.
Turning on your RV Wi-Fi+ Router
How to Activate the Telstra Pre Paid SIM
The Telstra satchel contains your Sim Card. You need to activate this and add credit to it to finish the set up stage of your RV Wi-Fi unit. We strongly advise to do this instore to make sure the activation has been confirmed. You MUST use the Noosey Sim Card Adapter provided in your pack, with a Nano sized SIM inserted
|Activate your Telstra Sim Card|
|Have your driver’s licence handy|
|Use the Service Number located on the rear bottom space of the Telstra Satchel.|
|Open your browser and go to www.telstra.com/activate|
|Follow the Telstra prompts for activation.|
|Once complete, turn off your router and then turn it on again to reboot the system.|
For providers other than Telstra please look on their packaging for instructions to activate. Below are links to Optus, Vodafone and Virgin. Optus can be activated by going to www.optus.com.au/customercentre/activateprepaid Vodafone can be activated by going to www.vodafone.com.au/activate Virgin can be activated by going to www.virginmobile.com.au/activate For other providers, please see your Sim card documentation.
Please complete your Warranty Registration by going to: www.rvwifi.com.au/warranty-registration. Your serial number for your RV Wi-Fi unit is located on the outside of the box, and on the rear of your RV Wi-Fi unit.
Connection to the RV Wi-Fi LiteRouter
Turn on the device/s that you wish to connect to the Internet
Click on the ‘Settings’ or equivalent page on your device (phone/tablet/laptop).
|Click on the ‘Wi-Fi’ heading and wait for RV WIFIabc123 to come up as a choice. NOTE: Your router number is unique“abc123” varies on each unique router.|
Click the ‘Connect Automatically’ Box
When prompted enter the Wi-Fi password/network security key : rvwifi1234
Setting your Wi-Fi Lite Password
One of the great features of RV Wi-Fi Lite is the security it provides whilst using the internet. This next section provides step by step instructions on setting your password.
- Open the web/internet browser on your device and enter the address http://10.0.1.1 into the ‘search’ bar.
- The RV WI-FI home page will appear.
- You are about to enter the username and password. You MUST enter the password “admin”. Failure to do so will result in the router requiring resetting. The ‘admin’ password CANNOT be changed.
- Select/click on the following tab: Network.
- Select/click on the dropdown box: WiFi/Wireless
- Select/Click on the ‘Edit’ box
- Go to the ‘Interface Configuration’ Section.
- Next to the ‘Key’ drop down box, click on the astrix. This shows what the current WiFi password is set to.
- Delete the password, by backspacing or use the delete button.
- In the Key box , type your new Wifi password – your choice! (Your password must be a minimum of 8 characters, and it is case sensitive).
- Click on the ‘Save and Apply’ button. The screen will indicate that it is ‘waiting for configeration to apply’.
- The next screen will give you two options. Click on ‘Apply unchecked’
NB: if this screen does not appear, check to see if your WIFI is still connected to RV WIFI by going to ‘setting/wifi’on your device. If not, click on the RVWIFI option in WIFI
- You will now receive the ‘ Device Unreachable’ , message. This has appeared as you have changed your WIFI password.
On your device (laptop/ipad/phone).
- Go to: Settings,
- Click on: Wifi,
- Wait for RV WIFI to come up on the list. Click on this,
- Your device will now tell you that your WiFi password is incorrect (that is because you have just changed it),
- Type in the ‘new’ WIFI/Security Key’ password that you just set,
- Wait for your device to let you know that you are connected,
- You are now ready to access the internet your RV WIFI
For help with your RV Wi-Fi unit please go to: [email protected] and a service agent will be in touch.
WARNING: This procedure will reset all of the settings applied to this router, back to original factory settings, and your passwords will be forgotten. Use this procedure if errors are occurring that may be related to unknown settings.
Once you have followed the steps below, please follow the User Manual to set up a new password. A downloadable version of this can be found on our website: www.rvwifi.com.au.
Please note, this does not impact any data usage or activation.
Follow these steps below to return your RV Wi-Fi router to the factory settings.
- Locate on the side of our router, the ‘Reset’ button.
- Using a pointed instrument – like a pen, depress and hold the button until the Wi-Fi button on the front of the router begins to ‘flash’ quickly.
- Release the ‘Reset’ button.
- The lights on the front of the router will all light up and after 2 minutes the unit will have ‘reset’ to factory settings.
- Leave the router for 5 minutes
- Turn the router off, wait for 1 minute
- Turn the router on and wait 5 minutes. You are good to go, remembering that the factory set password : rvwifi1234
Optional High Gain Antenna
An addition to the 3 in 1 and stick antenna’s that are included in the pack, is our High Gain Antenna.
- Operation: Manual lever for raising and lowering on hinged joint.
- Made from Marine Grade Plymer and Stainless Steel
- Must be used in conjunction with the 3 in 1 3G/4G/WIFI antenna sup- plied with RV WIFI+4gx or internal antenna’s.
- Recommended for Marine applications and low coverage areas.
- Simply remove either the 4G or the 4G (3 in 1 antenna cables) OR the 4.0 stick antenna and replace with the high gain antenna cable.
- Go to www.rvwifi.com.au for more information
How to connect to RV Wi-Fi Lite Media using VLC
This guide is to help you watch your stored images and movies from your USB or portable hard drive and share amongst your digital devices. Go to the app store on your device and search for ‘VLC’. The icon looks like this VLC is a free multimedia player that plays most multimedia files. It’s Simple, fast and powerful. Once installed on your device, follow these simple steps to access your stored files.
- Connect to RV Wi-Fi (if you aren’t already)
- Go to ‘settings’;
- Click on ‘Wi-Fi’;
- Locate and click on ‘RV WiFI1234 (yours will show a different series of numbers – each unit is unique;
- Wait for the tick to appear next to RV WIFI1234 – as shown in your user guide’
- Go back to your home screen and scroll on pages until you find the VLC icon.
- Open VLC by clicking on the icon and follow the prompts on the images below.
Frequently asked questions
What size SIM card should l use?
Always use a FULL sized SIM card.
What if l insert the wrong sized SIM card?
You will know that the wrong sized SIM card has been inserted, if once it is inserted it can no longer be seen. If inserted correctly, approximately 3mm should be visible out of the end of your RV WIFI router. You will need to return the router to our factory for retreival of the sim card. Inserting something into the sim card slot to retrieve will result in the voiding of the warranty. Damage to the sim card slot, results in replacement of the chip set – whole router replacement.
Do l need a SIM card to operate the WIFI?
If you are using the Media centre to stream from an inserted USB or External hard Drive, then you do not need to have a SIM card inserted. If you are sending information to a WIFI device, like a printer, then you do not need to have a SIM card inserted. Always turn your router off and on again after doing any adjustments to the SIM card. The router needs to re-read the SIM card once it has been inserted, so turning it off and on again will enable it to do this.
If you are having issues with your router, please turn off and on. Reset your device by turning it off and on again. Resetting re-establishes the connection and can help correct issues. To know the reset has been completed, the following lights will appear: one solid blue light, one solid red light, one flashing blue light.
The factory reset will put the router software back to the configuration it left the factory in.
- Depress and hold the small black recessed button on the left side of the router (just above the power cord). A pen, toothpick, small screw driver is easily inserted into the hole.
- Hold this recessed button for 10 seconds
- You will notice the lights begin to flicker
- Release the button
- All lights on the router will illuminate
- Wait 5 minutes
- Turn the router off, wait 1 minutes
- Turn the router on, wait 5 minutes.
- Go to: settings on your device
- Go to: wifi
- Wait for RV WIFI to come up in the list of WIFI options. Click on: RV WIFI
- When asked for a password/security key, type in: rvwifi1234
- Click on: connect
- Wait for confirmation of connection
- The wrong size SIM card has been inserted. Check that the SIM card is visible in the SIM card slot. If not follow the steps on how to retrieve it.(Sim card section).
- The SIM card has not been activated. Best way to check if the SIM card has been activated by the provider is to try it in another device. Push out the Nano SIM and place it in another device, for example a phone. If it works, then the SIM is working and is not the issue, if the SIM card does not work, then have the customer contact their data provider for assistance.
- The SIM card has run out of data. To check data credit, contact the service provider.
- The SIM card has expired. To check expiry, contact the service provider.
- There is a fault with the modem.
To establish if it is a SIM card issue or a router issue, follow these steps
- Turn on their RV WIFI router
- On the device (phone/laptop/tablet), go to: settings
- Go to: Wi-Fi
- Wait for RVWIFI123abc (each router will have its own unique series of numbers and let-ters following RV WIFI), to come up on the list of possible WIFI options.
- Click on: RV WIFI123abc
- If the device has already been connected to the RV WIFI router, it will recognise it and connect automatically. However, if this is the first time it is connecting to it, it will ask for the WIFI password.
- Type in the factory set WIFI password: rvwifi1234 (all lower case)
- Wait for the device to indicate that it is con-nected. If at this point you cannot connect, then per-form a factory reset and then start the process again.
- Open up a new web page on the device that is now connected via WIFI
- Type in: http://10.0.1.1 (where you would normally type in www.google.com.au
- This is a website on the actual router NOT on the web.
- Type in: admin for both the username and the password
- Click on: login
- This is now the home page. Check to see what the software version is. The current ver-sion 2016-2018 is
- 2/3rds of the way down the page is a heading IPV4. To the right of this will have information that either says it is ‘3G connected’ or ‘not connected’. If the IPV4 indicates that it is not connected, then ask the customer to test their SIM card in another device. If once this has occurred and the SIM card works in anoth-er device, then there is a fault with the router and it needs to be returned to head office.
What do I do if I can’t connect to the Wi-Fi?
There are a couple of causes that may have made this happen.
- The Wi-Fi may have been accidently deleted during the set-up phase. You will need to do a factory reset. See factory reset section.
- You have entered your own password into ‘setting the Wi-Fi password’ point 2, instead of entering ‘admin’ in both boxes. You will need to do a factory reset. See factory reset section.
Can l change the ADMIN password?
This setting cannot be changed. If you are concerned with security be assured that as the website: http://10.0.1.1 is located on the router, it can only be accessed by knowing the WIFI password which is set by you. We recommend that you set your WIFI pass-word upon receiving your router and keep the password information secure.
What coverage can I expect to get?
As we access our data from a range of Data Providers – the coverage is where they are available. Search on the internet for coverage maps. These are normally located on your providers web site.
Will you be making updates to the soft-ware? If so, how can I update my router?
Yes, we are continually looking for new and exciting features and improvements. We will make these available for download on our website. Follow our Facebook page for notifications and how to apply these updates www.face-book.com/rvwifi
Is there any device in my RV that l should not place the router or antenna near?
- The external antenna is best placed clear of high objects that will restrict its capacity to receive and send.
- The router needs to be placed away from the solar inverter.
How many concurrent Wi-Fi device con-nections can your product support?
The limit is up to 230 devices at once.
- Superior 3G/4G coverage driven through the antenna set up high on the vehicle.
- Wired in to the 12V supply of the van, so no chargers to look after or lose.
- Superior Wi-Fi coverage – typically 50 me-tres or more from the Caravan/ Motorhome.
- The RV WI-FI router Software has been developed with the travelling holiday in mind, there is no other product like it. No bill shock
What is the size of the router?
Height: 32mm Width: 83mm Length: 130mm
How much power does the RV WIFI draw?
250milliamps (mA) . It must be set up in a single power socket.
What is the length of the internal an-tenna’s?
External antenna dimensions
Height (including bracket): 50mm Diameter:125mm How long are the external antenna leads?2 metres each in length.