SALTER AIRE Plus® COMPRESSOR
Model 8350 / 8352 / 8353
Record the following information for easy reference regarding your SALTER
AIRE PLUS™ Compressor.
Your physician has prescribed a liquid medicine to treat your respiratory condition. In order to ensure high-quality aerosol nebulization, they have prescribed the SALTER AIRE PLUS ®Compressor system from Salter Labs.
The SALTER AIRE PLUS ® Compressor generates compressed air to turn your liquid medication into an aerosol mist that penetrates your lungs. Used in conjunction with a nebulizer supplied by Salter Labs, you can be assured that you are using the finest quality products to deliver your medication.
To maximize your benefit from the SALTER AIRE PLUS ® system, it is important for you to read and understand the information in this instruction manual. By following your doctor’s advice and these simple instructions, your SALTER AIRE PLUS ®system will become a valuable part of your daily treatment routine.
CAUTION – Use only as prescribed by your physician with the prescribed medication. Read all warnings and instructions before use. Improper use can result in serious or fatal illness or injury.
CAUTION – Use only with nebulizers, masks, and tubing supplied by Salter Labs. Other nebulizers, masks, and tubing may result in improper treatment. One nebulizer is provided with the compressor. Contact your local dealer to obtain additional Salter Labs nebulizers.
CAUTION – Federal law (USA) restricts this device to sale by or on the order of a physician.
READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USING
When using this electrical device, especially when children are present, basic safety precautions should always be followed, including the following precautions.
DANGER – To reduce the risk of electrocution:
- Always unplug the device immediately after use.
- Do not use while bathing.
- Do not place or store the device where it can fall or be pulled into a tub or sink.
- Do not place in or drop into water or other liquid.
- Do not reach for a device that has fallen into the water. Unplug immediately.
WARNING – To reduce the risk of injury:
- Use this device only for its intended use as described in this manual. Use only with nebulizers supplied by Salter Labs.
- Close supervision is necessary when this device is used by, on, or near children or invalids.
- Never operate this device if it has a damaged cord or plug if it is not working properly, if it has been dropped or damaged, or dropped into water. Return the device to a service center for examination and repair.
- Turn the compressor off before filling the nebulizer with medication.
- To prevent possible risk of infection due to contamination, clean the nebulizer after each use according to its instructions.
- Never block the air vents on the rear and bottom of the device or place it where the vents may be blocked. Make sure there is at least 15 cm (6 in) clearance on all sides of the unit.
- Do not operate the compressor while it is enclosed in a carrying case or bag.
- If the device abruptly stops operating, check that the power cord connection is secure. Also, see the note below.
- Keep the cord away from heated surfaces.
- Never drop or insert any object into any opening or hose.
- Never use this device while sleeping or drowsy.
- Do not use outdoors. This device is for indoor use only.
- Do not tamper with or attempt to repair the device. There are no user-serviceable parts inside the unit. Except for instructed user maintenance, all device servicing must be performed by a Salter Labs authorized service center.
- Do not use this device in the presence of a flammable anesthetic mixture with air or with oxygen or nitrous oxide.
- This device may generate, use, and radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with these instructions, may cause harmful interference to other devices in the vicinity. However, there is no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular installation. If this device does cause harmful interference to other equipment, which can be determined by turning the device off and on, the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or more of the following measures:
– Reorient or relocate the receiving device. Increase the separation between the equipment.
– Connect the device to an outlet on a circuit different from that which the other device(s) are connected.
– Consult your Salter Labs dealer or authorized service center for help.
NOTE – The compressor employs an automatic reset thermal limiter that shuts off the entire device if the motor overheats. The compressor will restart when the motor cools to an acceptable level.
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
SETUP AND OPERATION
Follow these simple steps to prepare your SALTER AIRE PLUS ®Compressor for operation. The instructions below describe use with a nebulizer. If an aerosol mask is to be used, follow the assembly instructions that come with the mask.
NOTE – Always wash your hands before you begin treatment.
NOTE – Always have at least two Salter Lab’s nebulizers on-hand available for use.
- Remove the compressor from its (optional) carrying case. Place the compressor on a level, sturdy surface. Make sure you can reach the controls when seated. Press the power switch to the off position.
CAUTION – Never block the air vents on the rear and bottom of the device or place it where the vents may be blocked. Make sure there is at least 15 cm (6 in) clearance on all sides of the unit.
- Plug the power cord into a power outlet.
- Unpack the Salter Labs nebulizer and connect one end of the tubing to the compressor’s outlet.
- Assemble the nebulizer according to its instructions. Make sure that the green cone has been placed into the nebulizer cup before assembling the top to the cup.
CAUTION – Do not use a nebulizer if its green cone is missing. Utilize a new nebulizer if necessary.
- Add the prescribed liquid medication to the top of the nebulizer using an eyedropper, premeasured unit dose, or ampoule.
- Attach the mouthpiece to the nebulizer.
- Connect the tubing to the bottom inlet on the nebulizer.
- Press the power switch to the • (on) position to start the compressor.
- Observe the nebulizer as the airflow begins. If you cannot visually observe an aerosol mist coming out of the nebulizer, replace it with another Salter Labs nebulizer.
- Begin treatment by placing the nebulizer mouthpiece between your teeth. Close your mouth. Inhale deeply and slowly as the aerosol begins to flow. Hold your breath for several seconds, then exhale slowly.
- If a Salter Labs aerosol mask is being used, position the mask over your nose and mouth. Inhale deeply and slowly through your mouth as the aerosol begins to flow.
Hold your breath for several seconds, then exhale slowly.
- Continue treatment until aerosol mist is no longer coming out of the nebulizer. Press the power switch to the off position to turn the compressor off. Remove and clean the nebulizer according to its instructions.
CAUTION – In high humidity conditions, water buildup can occur in the compressor tubing. If this occurs, turn the compressor on and run it for several minutes before connecting the medication container.
CAUTION – Cold temperature may result in poor compressor performance.
Allow the unit to warm to room temperature for best results.
CLEANING AND STORAGE
In order to maintain its performance, clean your SALTER AIRE PLUS®Compressorevery two to three days.
- Ensure that the compressor is turned off and unplugged.
- Wipe the compressor with a clean, damp cloth. This will keep the unit dirt and dust-free.
CAUTION – Do not spray any fluid into the air vents of the compressor. Fluids may cause damage to internal components and could lead to a malfunction.
Clean the nebulizer after each use. Refer to the cleaning instructions supplied with your nebulizer.
- Ensure that the compressor is turned off and unplugged.
- Disconnect tubing from the compressor and the nebulizer. Set the tubing aside.
- Disassemble and clean the nebulizer according to its instructions.
- After cleaning, reassemble the nebulizer and tubing. Make sure that the green cone is placed into the nebulizer cup before assembling the top of the cup.
WARNING – To prevent possible risk of infection due to contamination, clean the nebulizer after each use according to the instructions.
- Place the tubing and nebulizer in a clean, dry, sealed container or bag.
- Coil the power cord.
- Store the compressor and nebulizer kit in a clean, dry environment. If available, store and transport the device and accessories in its carrying case. Do not store the compressor on the floor where it can collect dust.
NOTE – The Compressor should be stored and transported in the following environmental conditions:
|Ambient temperature||-40 to 70 °C (-40 to 158 °F)|
|Relative humidity||10 to 100 %|
|Atmospheric pressure||500 to 1060 hPa (375 to 795 mmHg)|
Your SALTER AIRE PLUS ® Compressor has an inlet air filter to remove airborne contaminants. The filter requires periodic replacement. The compressor comes with a package of extra inlet filters for this purpose. Contact your local Salter Labs dealer to obtain additional filters.
Check the inlet filter at least once a month. Follow these steps to check and replace the filter if necessary.
- Using a large coin, unscrew the filter cap on the front panel and pull it out.
- Remove the filter from the filter cap.
- The filter should be changed if significant discoloration is noticed around the middle of the filter or when it begins to turn brown or gray in color. If required, insert a new filter in the filter cap and discard the dirty filter. Otherwise, reinsert the existing filter in the filter cap.
- Screw the filter cap into position.
CAUTION – Compressor damage may result if filters are reused or substituted with any other material.
Except for instructed user maintenance, all device servicing must be performed by a Salter Labs authorized service representative. There are no user-serviceable parts inside the unit. Contact your Salter Labs dealer or authorized service center if your unit needs repair.
WARNING – Do not tamper with or attempt to repair the device. Refer servicing to qualified service personnel.
Specifications and appearance are subject to change without notice.
|Dimensions:||17.0 cm L x 14.5 cm W x 11.2 cm H
(6.7” L x 5.7” W x 4.4” H)
|1.8 kg (4.0 lb)
1.9 kg (4.2 lb)
2.1 kg (4.6 lb)
|Free Flow:||10 lpm minimum|
|Pressure:||25 psi minimum|
|Liter Flow:||6 lpm minimum through a Salter Labs nebulizer|
|Ambient Temperature:||10 to 40°C (50 to 104°F)|
|115 VAC, 60 Hz, 1.9 A
230 VAC, 50 Hz, 1.0 A (EU)
230 VAC, 50 Hz, 1.0 A (UK)
|Type B||Class II||IPX0||Off/On|
|8501||Replacement Air Filters, 5 per pkg.|
|8504||Replacement Air Filter Cap, 1 each|
|8660||NebuTech™ HDN™ Nebulizer, 7’ Tubing – Reusable|
|8900||Nebulizer with Tee Adapter, 7’ Tubing, Mouthpiece, and Reservoir Tube|
|8906||Nebulizer, Pediatric Mask, 7’ Tubing|
|8924||Nebulizer, Adult Mask, 7’ Tubing|
|8960||NebuTech™ HDN™ Nebulizer, 7’ Tubing – Disposable|
|8966||NebuTech™ HDN™ Nebulizer, Pediatric Mask, 7’ Tubing|
|8984||NebuTech™ HDN™ Nebulizer, Adult Mask, 7’ Tubing|
|8258||Compressor Carrying Bag|
Salter Labs warrants the SALTER AIRE PLUS ® Compressor to be free from defects in workmanship and materials for a period of five years from the date of purchase. Check with your dealer for more details. This warranty is limited to the original purchaser of the compressor. Any defective part or assembly will be repaired or replaced, at the sole discretion and determination of Salter Labs, if the unit has not been misused or tampered with during the period. Normal maintenance items and disposable components are not covered by this warranty. Shipping charges, if any, shall be paid by the purchaser.
THERE IS NO OTHER EXPRESS WARRANTY. IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING THOSE OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ARE LIMITED TO THE DURATION OF THE EXPRESS LIMITED WARRANTY AND TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, AND ANY OTHER IMPLIED WARRANTIES ARE EXCLUDED. THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER PROVIDING A LOANER COMPRESSOR, COMPENSATING FOR COSTS INCURRED FOR COMPRESSOR RENTAL, OR FOR LABOR COSTS INCURRED IN REPAIRING OR REPLACING A DEFECTIVE PART(S).
Thank you for selecting the SALTER AIRE PLUS®Compressor. Salter Labs is an innovative, industry-leading manufacturer of respiratory care devices. Please contact your local Salter Labs dealer for information about additional products.
100 W. Sycamore Road
Arvin, California 93203 USA
Authorized Representative in the E.U.:
MT Promedt Consulting GmbH
D-66386 St. Ingbert
- Salter Labs | Respiratory care products | soft cannulas
- Salter Labs | Respiratory care products | soft cannulas