SONY SA-SW5 Wireless Subwoofer
About compatible models for the subwoofer
- The SA-SW5 subwoofer works only with the specified model.
- For information about compatible models, visit Sony’s website.
- In these Operating Instructions, the operations are described for the subwoofer used with the compatible model HT-A7000 or HT-A9.
Parts and Controls
- Flashes slowly (green) The subwoofer is attempting to automatically connect to a compatible model.
- Lights up (green) The subwoofer is connected to a compatible model.
- Flashes twice repeatedly (green) The subwoofer is attempting to manually connect to a compatible model.
- Flashes/lights up (amber) The software is updating.
- Lights up (red) The subwoofer is in standby mode.
- Turns off The subwoofer is turned off.
- Note: The brightness of the power indicator syncs with the DIMMER settings of a compatible model.
- (power) button
- LINK button
- AC inlet
The following illustration is the installation example to use the subwoofer with the compatible model HT-A7000 and optional rear speakers.
Install the subwoofer in the place that you want.
- You can install the subwoofer in the place that you want because the output sound from it has no directivity.
- The above illustration is an example of the installation of the subwoofer.
- Install the subwoofer with the slit on the bottom, as shown in the “Parts and Controls” illustration. The subwoofer is not designed to be installed in a different orientation.
- You can connect the optional rear speaker with a compatible model in the following way when installing it too.
- Turn on a compatible model.
- Connect the AC power cord (mains lead) (supplied) to the subwoofer and then connect the cord to the AC outlets (mains).
Make sure that the power indicator on the subwoofer lights in green.
- When the power indicator lights in green, the connection between the subwoofer and a compatible model are established. For the cases below, follow the steps under “Performing a Manual Connection” to connect the subwoofer to a compatible model.
- When you use multiple compatible models and want to specify the model to which you wish to connect the subwoofer.
- If you have previously connected other subwoofers to the compatible model.
- If you cannot connect the subwoofer to a compatible model automatically for any other reason.
Performing a Manual Connection
The following operation is described for the subwoofer used with the compatible model HT-A7000 or HT-A9. Use the remote control supplied with the compatible model HT-A7000 or HT-A9 when performing this operation. If you use other compatible models, refer to the Operating Instructions supplied with them.
- Press HOME: The home menu appears on the TV screen.
- 2 Select [Setup] [Advanced Settings] on the
- 3 Select [Speaker Settings] [Wireless Speaker Settings] – [Start manual linking]. The [Start manual linking] screen appears on the TV screen.
- 4 Press LINK on the subwoofer the power indicator of the subwoofer that had LINK pressed flashes twice repeatedly in green.
- 5 Select [Start] The manual connection starts. The connecting process appears on the TV screen. To cancel the manual connection, select [Cancel].
- 6 When [Subwoofer] display [Connected], select [Finish].
- 7 Press (enter) The manual connection is established and the power indicator of the subwoofer lights in green.
- If you perform [Start manual linking], [Link mode] of [Wireless Speaker Settings] is set to [Manual] automatically.
- Only the speakers for which [Connected] has been displayed in Step 6 connect to a compatible model.
- If the subwoofer is not properly connected, perform the operation again from Step 1.
If Wireless Transmission is Unstable
If you use multiple wireless systems, such as a wireless LAN, the wireless signals may become unstable. In this case, the transmission may be improved by changing the following setting. The following operation is described for the subwoofer used with the compatible modelHT-A7000 or HT-A9. Use the remote control supplied with the compatible model HT-A7000 or HT-A9 when performing this operation. If you use other compatible models, refer to the Operating Instructions supplied with them.
- Press HOME The home menu appears on the TV screen.
- Select [Setup] – [Advanced Settings] on the home menu.
- Select [Speaker Settings] – [Wireless Speaker Settings] – [RF Channel].
- Select the setting you want.
- [On] (default setting): Normally select this. The system automatically selects the better channel for transmission. Stronger mode for wireless interference.
- [Off]: The system selects a channel from the limited frequency band to prevent external wireless interference. If sound dropping occurs while [On] is selected, it may be improved by selecting [Off].
- If you change the [RF Channel] setting from [Off] to [On], it may take 1 minute to reconnect.
- A compatible model may not meet this setting depending on the countries/regions where you purchase it.
If you experience any of the following difficulties while using the subwoofer, use this troubleshooting guide to help remedy the problem before requesting repairs. Should any problem persist, consult your nearest Sony dealer. Be sure to bring all of your subwoofers, a compatible model, and optional rear speakers (not supplied) even if it seems as though only one has a problem when you request to repair. The following solutions are described for the subwoofer used with the compatible model HT-A7000 or HT-A9. If you use other compatible models, refer to the Operating Instructions supplied with them.
No sound or only a very low-level sound is heard from the subwoofer.
- Press SW (volume) + or BASS + on the remote control of a compatible model to increase the subwoofer volume.
- Make sure that the power indicator on the subwoofer is lit in green.
- If the power indicator on the subwoofer does not light, try the following.
- Make sure the AC power cord (mains lead) of the subwoofer is connected properly. Press (power) of the subwoofer to turn on the power.
- If the power indicator on the subwoofer flashes slowly in green or lights in red, try the following.
- Move the subwoofer to a location near a compatible model so that the power indicator on the subwoofer lights in green. Follow the steps in “Performing a Manual Connection.”
- Check the wireless connection status. For details refer to the Operating Instructions supplied with a compatible model.
- If the power indicator on the subwoofer flashes in red, press (power) of the subwoofer to turn off the power and check whether the ventilation holes of the subwoofer are blocked or not.
- f the input sources contain very few bass sound components (i.e., a TV broadcast), the sound from the subwoofer may be difficult to hear. You can check the subwoofer sound by emitting the test tone.
- Set the night mode to off. For details, refer to the Operating Instructions supplied with a compatible model.
- If you change the [RF Channel] setting from [Off] to [On], it may take 1 minute for the sound to be output.
Sound skips or has noise
- If there is a device nearby that generates electromagnetic waves, such as a wireless LAN or a microwave oven in use, locate the subwoofer and a compatible model apart from it.
- If there is an obstacle between the subwoofer and a compatible model, move or remove it.
- Locate the subwoofer and a compatible model as close as possible.
- Change the [RF Channel] setting to [Off], and then change to [On] again.
- Switch the network connection of the TV or Blu-ray Disc player from wireless to wired.
- Change the [Wireless Playback Quality] setting to [Connection].
- POWER OUTPUT (reference) 300 W (at 2 ohms, 100 Hz)
- Speaker system: Subwoofer speaker system, Passive radiator type
- Speaker: 180 mm cone type 200 mm × 300 mm cone type, Passive radiator
- Power requirements: 220 V – 240 V AC, 50 Hz/60 Hz
- Power consumption: On 43 W
- Standby mode: 1 W or less
- Turned off: 0.5 W or less
- Dimensions: (approx.) (w/h/d) 277 mm × 409 mm × 422 mm (not including projection portion)
- Mass (approx.): 13.0 kg
- Wireless transmitter/receiver section communication systems: wireless Sound Specification Version 4.0
- Frequency band: 5 GHz
- Modulation method: OFDM
- Radio Frequency Bands and Maximum Output Power
|Frequency band||Maximum output power|
|5150 – 5250 MHz||< 18 dBm|
|5250 – 5350 MHz||< 18 dBm|
|5470 – 5600 MHz||< 18 dBm|
|5650 – 5725 MHz||< 18 dBm|
|5725 – 5850 MHz||< 13.98 dBm|
- Subwoofer (1)
- AC power cord (mains lead) (1)
- Operating Instructions (1)
Important information on software
This product contains software that is subject to the GNU General Public License (“GPL”) or GNU Lesser General Public License (“LGPL”). These establish that customers have the right to acquire, modify, and redistribute the source code of said software in accordance with the terms of the GPL or the LGPL. For the method to confirm the GPL, LGPL, and other software licenses contained in the subwoofer, please refer to the Operating Instructions of a compatible model. When you use the compatible model HT-A7000 or HT-A9, please refer to [Software License Information] under [Setup] – [Advanced Settings] – [System Settings] on the home menu. You may find a copy of the relevant source code as required under the GPLv2 (and other licenses) at https://oss.sony.net/Products/Linux You may obtain the source code as required by the GPLv2 on a physical medium from us for a period of three years after our last shipment of this product by applying through the form at https://oss.sony.net/Products/Linux This offer is valid to anyone in receipt of this information. Please note that Sony cannot answer or respond to any inquiries regarding the content of this source code. All other trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners. Do not install the subwoofer in a confined space, such as a bookcase or built-in cabinet. To reduce the risk of fire, do not cover the ventilation opening of the subwoofer with newspapers, tablecloths, curtains, etc. Do not expose the subwoofer to naked flame sources (for example, lighted candles).To reduce the risk of fire or electric shock, do not expose this subwoofer to dripping or splashing, and do not place objects filled with liquids, such as vases, on the subwoofer. The subwoofer is not disconnected from the mains as long as it is connected to the AC outlet, even if the subwoofer itself has been turned off. As the mains plug is used to disconnect the subwoofer from the mains, connect the subwoofer to an easily accessible AC outlet. Should you notice an abnormality in the subwoofer, disconnect the main plug from the AC outlet immediately. Do not place this product close to medical devices this product (including accessories) has a magnet(s) that may interfere with pacemakers, programmable shunt valves for hydrocephalus treatment, or other medical devices. Do not place this product close to persons who use such medical devices. Consult your doctor before using this product if you use any such medical device. Indoor use only.
For the customers in Europe Notice for customers
- The following information is only applicable to equipment sold in countries applying EU directives and/or the UK applying relevant statutory requirements
- This product has been manufactured by or on behalf of Sony Corporation. EU and UK Importer:
- Sony Europe B.V. Inquiries to the EU Importer or related to product compliance in Europe should be sent to the manufacturer’s authorized representative, Sony
- Belgium, bijkantoor van Sony Europe B.V., Da Vincilaan 7-D1, 1930 Zaventem, Belgium. Inquiries to the UK Importer or related to product compliance in the UK should be sent to the manufacturer’s authorized representative, Sony Europe B.V., The Heights, Brooklands, Weybridge, Surrey KT13 0XW, United Kingdom.
- Hereby, Sony Corporation declares that this equipment is in compliance with Directive 2014/53/EU.
- The full text of the EU declaration of conformity is available at the following internet address https://compliance.sony.eu
- Hereby, Sony Corporation declares that this equipment is in compliance with the UK’s relevant statutory requirements.
- The full text of the declaration of conformity is available at the following internet address https://compliance.sony.co.uk
- For this radio equipment, the following restrictions on putting into service or of requirements for authorization of use apply in BE, BG, CZ, DK, DE, EE, IE, EL, ES, FR, HR, IT, CY, LV, LT, LU, HU, MT, NL, AT, PL, PT, RO, SI, SK, FI, SE, UK, UK(NI), IS, LI, NO, CH, AL, BA, MK, MD, RS, ME, XK, TR: 5150 – 5350 MHz band is restricted to indoor operations only.
- This radio equipment is intended to be used with the approved version(s) of software that is indicated in the Declaration of Conformity. The software loaded on this radio equipment is verified to comply with the essential requirements of the Radio Equipment Regulations.
- The software version can be found in [Setup] – [Advanced Settings] – [Speaker Settings] – [Wireless Speaker Settings] – [Software Version] on the home menu of a compatible model.
- Disposal of old electrical & electronic equipment (applicable in the European Union and other countries with separate collection systems)
This symbol on the product or on its packaging indicates that this product shall not be treated as household waste. Instead, it shall be handed over to the appropriate collection point for the recycling of electrical and electronic equipment. By ensuring that this product is disposed of correctly, you will help to prevent potential negative consequences for the environment and human health, which could be caused by inappropriate waste handling of this product. The recycling of materials will help to conserve natural resources. For more detailed information about recycling this product, please contact your local Civic Office, your household waste disposal service, or the shop where you purchased the product. This equipment should be installed and operated keeping the radiator over 20 cm away from the person’s body.
For the customers in Australia or New Zealand
- It should be installed and operated with at least 20 cm and more between the radiator and the person’s body (excluding extremities: hands, wrists, feet, and ankles).
For the customers in Australia and India
- Disposal of old electrical & electronic equipment (applicable in the European Union and other countries with separate collection systems)
Precautions On safety
- Should any solid object or liquid fall into the subwoofer, unplug the system and have it checked by qualified personnel before operating it any further.
- Do not climb on the subwoofer, as you may fall down and injure yourself, or the subwoofer damage may result.
On power sources
- Before operating the subwoofer, check that the operating voltage is identical to your local power supply. The operating voltage is indicated on the nameplate at the rear of the subwoofer.
- If you are not going to use the subwoofer for a long time, be sure to disconnect the subwoofer from the wall outlet (mains). To disconnect the AC power cord (mains lead), grasp the plug itself; never pull the cord.
- One blade of the plug is wider than the other for the purpose of safety and will fit into the wall outlet (mains) only one way. If you are unable to insert the plug fully into the outlet, contact your dealer.
- AC power cord (mains lead) must be changed only at a qualified service shop.
On heat buildup
- Although the subwoofer heats up during operation, this is not a malfunction. If you continuously use this subwoofer at a high volume, the subwoofer temperature at the rear and bottom rises considerably. To avoid burning yourself, do not touch the subwoofer.
- Do not place the subwoofer near heat sources or in a place subject to direct sunlight, excessive dust, or mechanical shock.
- Do not place metal objects other than a TV around the subwoofer. Wireless functions may be unstable.
- If the subwoofer is being used in combination with a TV, VCR, or tape deck, noise may result, and picture quality may suffer. In such a case, place the subwoofer away from the TV, VCR, or tape deck.
- Use caution when placing the subwoofer on a surface that has been specially treated (with wax, oil, polish, etc.), as staining or discoloration of the surface may result.
- The speakers of this subwoofer are not of magnetically shielded type. Do not place magnetic cards on the subwoofer or near it.
If you encounter color irregularity on a nearby TV screen
- Color irregularities may be observed on certain types of TV sets.
- Clean the subwoofer with a soft, dry cloth. Do not use any type of abrasive pad, scouring powder, or solvents such as alcohol or benzine.
- If you have any questions or problems concerning your system, please consult your nearest Sony dealer.